EPILOGUE

Z A I R A

"Lexus! Lexus! Please do come immediately! Tawagan mo na rin si Dad!"

I can hear the cry of my daughter even though my vision was really blurry and all, I can even feel myself lying on a thin cushion and somehow, I am moving rapidly. Screeching sounds of wheels is the least I can hear.

"Mom?! Mom?! Please, hold on!"

That's when I realized that my body is too weak to speak and to touch my daughter's hand. It hits me, I am slowly dying and my lips are dry to speak, it's like having a large lump in my throat. "M-my...d...aughter," my voice cracked.

"Mom, please don't speak! Please stay strong! Mom!"

It is clear in her voice that she is on the zone of nervousness. "Just wait here," the doctors commanded her and let go of my hand. I closed my eyes and silently prayed that whatever this may go, it has always been the memorable event for me.

Through out the years, our marriage didn't work out and we let the kids to understand the situation. The kids grew up with the presence of me and Xander. Yes, we do live in the same house but in separate rooms were approved.

Since that very day, all of my hopes and dreams for a happy and loving family faded away. Erasing all the moments and happenings that we shared, because of what I did. The choice that I made, made our worlds broke into pieces and I accepted the fact that it can never bring back the normal and the same again.

I'm still happy because Xander let me stay with the kids. Well, I accept all of his cold and arrogant treatments for me and I survived it all.

And today, this might be the last.

A loveless marriage. That's what we have for the past years of our lives.

I can't stop thanking God for the family He has given to me -- with the perfect kids and a husband. They were still by my side even though, it is not sincere for them. Especially for my eldest who had the most hatred against me. Of course, I take it all, even though it is killing me everyday that he is saying the most painful words against me.

Now, I can't believe she grown up like a fine woman -- she is already in her college life where all the risks were tough and tricky. Life is tricky when you reach that particular stage and I experienced it myself.

===

My eyes couldn't adopt the brightness of the lights in this very room of mine. I gasped when I felt someone touched my hand. I carefully opened my eyes and saw my husband kissing it while looking at me. "H-hey..." he whispered.

I tried to smile. "T-the kids?"

"Parating na si Lexus. Si Larzene, kinakausap na 'yung mga doktor." He shook his head and looked into my eyes. "Bakit hindi mo sinabi sa akin?" Mas lalo niyang hinigpitan ang pagkakahawak sa kamay ko at ramdam ko na rin ang mabilis na paghinga niya.

"Mas mabuti na ang ganito, Xander." My weak voice let me speak at least.

He kissed my hand all over again and opened my palm so that I can touch his cheek. "Why? Zaira, why?" His voice shaking.

"My love for the three of you is truly unconditional, my man. Even my life, I can give so that you can all be happy." Umiwas ako ng tingin sa kanya. "Wala na kayong aalalahanin." Huminga ako ng malalim. "Mamamatay na ako. Mawawala na ako sa landas mo."

I stared at him and let my tears fall. "That disease you have is a silent killer, Zaira! Alam mo ba ang ibig sabihin no'n?! Unti-unti kang pinapatay!"

Tumango lang ako. "I was destined to have this kind of disease, and maybe, my life is the exchange for the mistake--"

"NO!" He stood up and turned his back at me. "Hindi, Zaira, hindi!" Humarap siya sa akin muli at maingat na hinawakan ang kamay ko. "Lalaban ka, ha?" Umiling ako pero, eto siya at namumula ang mga mata at pilit na pinipigil ang sarili na umiyak. "Gagaling ka, Zaira." Mas lalo akong napaluha nang halikan niya ako sa noo.