Chapter 40

It felt stupidly easy. Rashmi felt like there should be more to it. She hadn't- She hadn't even fought. Vester had been the only one to fight and Maria had died so easily. Like she was just... mortal. It was underwhelming. It felt impossible, even for Rashmi who thought she'd gotten used to impossible things.

She breathed out shakily. Was it too much to hope—that this was truly the end of the war? Could those at the warfront finally go home now? Except-

Vera, how capable are you of flying all of us back to Petri? She asked.

If we got rid of the armour, Vera said, perhaps—but Kensho will remain here?

The couriers will look after her, I'm sure, Rashmi said.

The others were still fighting. Rashmi didn't know how they were going—if they had won or lose or something else. They didn't know whether the breaches had been closed or anything. However, Vester didn't make a move towards Vera, he was watching the guard with wary eyes.

One of the guards shifted, muttering, "What happens now?"

What did happen now? Wars didn't end with one person dead. The spirit war might end, but that wasn't the only part of this war. What about the fighting? And what would even happen to Muga Naturalak? Their leader was dead, had betrayed them, and they were left—it seemed—with no one they could trust in a leadership position.

"Go," one of the guards said. "Muga Naturalak will concede—but there is much to do and you do not need to be here. You should not be here nor do we want you here. This is our country."

It felt strange. Leaving. It felt like it should have been more. Like there should be something else. It almost felt like they were turning tail and running—though they weren't, Rashmi knew that.

Where to from here? Vera asked. Is it to Petri and the others?

Rashmi relayed the dragon's words to the others.

"Can she take all of us?" Shui asked.

"If we leave the armour behind," Rashmi said. "But I don't know where we could do that, or what will happen with Kensho."

"The couriers might let us leave it there," Shiori said with a frown. "But... I'll be on thin ice. But whatever. Let's do it."

***

The fight did not end quickly—but it did end. But it was only the fighting that had ended. There was still much to do, and Petri, as commander, couldn't rest. First task was to see to his force, to check on how the first aiders were travelling and if they needed more help.

Petri glanced over at the rune masters who were hanging around the circle of runes, discussing something in low voices. He walked over. "Is it staying closed?"

"Yes," one immediately answered. "There's no way we'll let this thing activate again. We're just figuring out the best way to remove the runes from the floor or whether it's just better to burn the building down."

Petri breathed out, relieved. There was no problem. "Good work," he told them. "Get yourself seen to by a medic if you need, and get rest too. It was a hard fight here."

"Got it, Sir." And one saluted, grinning at Petri, who shook his head and walked off. His distaste for formalities—the titles, the saluting, and so on—had become common knowledge amongst his force. It probably helped that he was often working alongside them, but still.

He headed outside the building where the majority of the fighting had taken place. They'd probably been one of the unluckier forces with a wave of spirits attacking just as they reached the building. However, they'd managed it. Succeeded. And that was the main thing.