Chapter 15

TW//Blood and gore, Strong language. There will be messages at the end of the separate warnings for those who want to skip these sections.

We were almost at the exit when X snapped his head around to face the fighting. We all did too and Stress shrieked with horror.

Iskall was lying on the floor, face splattered red and starting to bruise. Stress stopped following us and started sprinting back towards Iskall. She skidded to her knees beside him and put his head in her lap. Her tears were wiping the blood off his face.

Cub was looming over the two and his eyes were switching between brown and blue. He stared down at Stress with the evilest grin. The poor girl was helplessly screaming and cursing.

"ISKALL STAY WITH ME. ISKALL PLEASE I CAN'T LOSE YOU. YOU BASTARD WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS. ISKALL DON'T LEAVE ME. Iskall, please... Iskall... no..."

My eyes were ripped away from the scene as Mumbo pulled me and Xisuma out of the building. My mind went blank as I replayed the scene over in my head. Iskall laying with his nose flowing with blood, purple creeping along his face. Stress leaning over him with tears spilling from her eyes. Clutching his head and trying to put pressure on the bleeding to make it stop. Cub watching it and smiling.

TW// Blood and gore ended. They made it out but Stress went back in to help Iskall.

I was brought out of my head when I nearly tripped on my own feet. We had run so far away from the building that we were nearing a forest. X had trouble running on the uneven ground so we stopped and hid behind a fallen down tree. We needed to anyway since I had lost my breath.

Mumbo sat on the wet forest floor. He had his knees up with his elbows balancing in them. He stared at the floor and looked like he was thinking. X looked panicked and kept scratching at his horns. I took hold of his wrists and took them away from his head.

"Just breathe. We're ok. They're not here anymore." Not only did X start to breathe at the same time as me, so did Mumbo. X gently pulled his hands out of my grasp and sat against the big tree beside Mumbo.

I poked my head out above it and saw nobody coming so I copied them. Everything was still for a minute until Mumbo hit his head off the tree on purpose. I leaned forwards to see him around X, who was sitting in between us.

"If only I had stopped him from attacking him. If only I had done something he would still be here." Mumbo had put his hands into tight fists and was sitting with his wrists covering his eyes, "If only I hadn't been a fucking idiot."

TW//Strong language ended. Stress ran back to help as they made it out. They are hiding in a forest, Mumbo is crying over leaving Iskall behind.

"Hey hey hey, it's not your fault. I know your angry and in pain, I am too but don't hurt yourself. It won't help. Look at me... I'm here..." I moved away from X as I spoke and sat on the other side of Mumbo. He leaned his head back against the tree gently and took a deep breath.

I heard leaves rustle from the other side of Mumbo but didn't think much of it. I just wanted to help him feel better.

"He was my best friend. He helped me through so much. I just want him back." His eyes were bloodshot as he took his wrists away from them. Mumbo closed his eyes and took a couple of deep breaths. I sat waiting to see what he would do next.

For some reason helping Mumbo came naturally to me. I had spoken to him a few times at the house but not enough to help him with any situation, never mind when he might have lost his best friend.

We sat beside each other in silence as listened to the wind. It was calm again. Mumbo had regulated his breathing and I had zoned out. When I started to come back to earth I paid attention to what I was doing.

My hand was in Mumbo's and I was rubbing my thumb on his hand to calm him down. I pulled my hand out of his and he turned his head to look at me. I felt something I had never really felt around people before, but I didn't know what it was. Mumbo was faintly blushing and turned his head to look away from me.

"Hey, where did X go?"