16. Watching A Blessing

Start from the beginning

    He held Anrielle tightly in his arms. A dark chuckle raised goosebumps along his arm. “Oh how cute. A lovely couple.” The voice was twisted sounding and ominous.

    Anrielle shifted and his majesty stroked her hair. He looked down and her forehead was creased in confusion, but she was still asleep. “Shh love. Just go back to sleep. You’re safe in my arms.”

    The chuckle came again. “That’s right mortal. Tell her what she could never be. Safe. How could she be safe from me or my brothers?”

    His majesty felt something’s hand crawling, creeping along the covers of their bed. He could see it moving by an invisible force. The air was becoming colder the closer it got. He was starting to see his breathe. Anrielle was shivering and squirming in his hold. Even in her dreams she knew something was wrong. His highness held her the best he could.

    Slowly Anrielle opened her eyes and turned. The king quickly covered her mouth to keep her from screaming out. This demon was worst than the last. His body more twisted. His mouth longer and teeth more pointed and fang like. Its tongue snaked out every so often and it was like a forked tongue of a snake.

    “Oh my. What do we have here? So Mardin wasn’t lying. A mortal angel. How delightful. This will be so much fun.” It went to touch her, but once he placed a single finger on her, his skin hissed. He shrieked as he jumped to the other side of the room. He held his hand as it started to shift from its grotesque malformed state to something more normal. Then it shifted back to what it was.

    The demon growled. “That too is true. We cannot touch her with her mortal man around. Somehow he makes her too pure and...yuck...good. I really wanted to have some very wicked fun tonight. I will have to bide my time for an opportunity.”

    Anrielle buried her head in his majesty’s shoulder after the demon slinked away into the darkness. She trembled as she feared another attack. His majesty stroked her head and tried to sooth her. He couldn’t hear what that creature, whatever it was, had said. He just could feel it was dark and evil.

    “You’re safe in my arms.” His majesty said again as he held her. He felt her relax slowly and felt her yawn. “I won’t leave your side. You’ll stay safe.” He promised as he felt her slowly fall asleep.

    He closed his eyes and let sleep take him too. The day was slowly creeping upon them. The people’s reaction to her blessing will be wonderful to help her forget what just had happened to her.

    For the rest of the night, he held her tight to him. His arms around her waist. Her head stayed nestled in the croak of his neck. His nose buried lightly in her hair. They were so very comfortable.

    The morning came and their dreams were disturbed with a gentle knock on their door. His majesty stirred and groggily told them a minute. Anrielle yawned delicately as she too woke. His majesty gave her the briefest of kisses before he helped them out of their bed.

    Robed, his highness looked to the door with his hand on her waist. “Enter.”

    The mayor came in and his face was flushed. “Good morning my liege. Forgive me for waking you, but I have some most glorious news. One of my farmer’s fields is flourishing. We too have a miracle.” The mayor put his hands together and looked to the sky when he said miracle. “We’ve been blessed this day.” Then he bowed before them and he took her hand. “Thank you my lady. I believe you are an angel sent to his majesty in our most needed hour.” He kissed her hand as she blushed.

    His majesty smiled as he kissed her cheek causing her blush to deepen. “She is a miracle.”

    The mayor rose smiling. “Will you both come and see? It is more than beautiful.”

    She glanced up and smiled at his majesty. He smiled back. “Of course. We shall be dressed shortly and wished to have something to eat before we set out.”

    The mayor nodded excitedly. “I will have something made immediately.” He bowed deeply and then rushed from the room.

    His majesty rose and gently tugged her up with him. He held her in his arms staring lovingly down at her. He caressed her cheek. “Your blessing worked. I still don’t understand how, but at the moment I’m so grateful to you.”

    She blushed. “I only follow my heart. I wish to help you and your people.” She looked into his eyes. “I’d do anything to help you.”

    He sighed happily and kissed her. The kiss only lasting till her stomach made its presence known. They pulled away giggling. They still giggled as they dressed. He even helped with her laces which he was very happy to do.

    Breakfast was more than they had thought or expected. All the servants bowed to them. Some fell to their knees and took Anrielle’s hand kissing it. She was becoming a little overwhelmed. He had to demand that they give Anrielle breathing room for all this was becoming too much for her.

    Out in the field, Anrielle smiled at the plants. Everyone had stepped away to give her some space. There was a large gathering of many people awing their little miracle. Hope was spreading even more quickly through everyone’s heart. All of it was touching for Anrielle.

    When they returned to the manor, Anrielle and his highness found gifts awaiting them. So many that they were both shocked. She confessed to his majesty that this was a little too much for her. That she need not be rewarded for her blessing. He smiled and promised that when they are at the next town, he will ask for them not to give them any gifts.

    She sighed as she looked around at all the gifts they already had. “They really had lost some of their hope.”

    His majesty smiled as he turned her to him and cupped her cheek. “And you have brought it back to them, my angel.” He leaned down and kissed her. Feeling his heart and soul pour into the kiss. Also wishing to make her his queen more than ever.