"Everyone does, my dear," came their aunt's earnest response, "Everyone deserves, at least once, to be understood and respected, despite their actions."

"Well, that didn't go as I expected," Alicia declared as she and Diana made their way to their own rooms just down the hallway, to freshen up for lunch.

"Aunt Frederica is full of surprises," Diana chuckled, lightening the tense atmosphere; after all, they were here to relax. They simply couldn't let a couple guests ruin their stay. "At least she's handling it better than I did."

"She doesn't know him like we do," Alicia justified, "She doesn't know how they can disguise their personalities like they did in Southampton and switch faces like they do here in Portsmouth. She doesn't realize that not everyone deserves the response she believes they do, some people are just constant in their ill selves regardless."

· • —– ٠ ✤ ٠ —– • ·

The Countess had arranged for lunch in the gardens of the Brockenhurst estate, under the open sky and amongst the scent of a dozen flowers and the hymns of bird songs. The sun looked as though it still hadn't made up its mind to set just yet, and had decided upon looming around for an hour or two more. A big round table had been arranged covered with neat white table cloth, just by the gazebo, as the servants rushed to make sure there were exactly enough plates and utensils, before the footmen came around holding silver dishes of food in their hands.

"The men won't be joining us for lunch, my dear," The Countess approached Lady Diana Beaumont, who was just standing near the table holding little Theodore's hand, waiting for everyone else to come before she took a seat. 

The Countess had changed entirely for lunch, switching out of her glamorous splendor to lighter and softer colors that still splendidly made her the most extravagant figure in the gardens.

"They will be having their lunch separately, towards east of The estate. I have asked Frank to oblige to the arrangement before we all properly sit down for dinner together, tonight."

Diana nodded in relief, observing The Countess's expressions, waiting.

"I honestly don't know why he thought proper for his business partners to be invited at the estate," Her Aunt Agnes sighed then. "It is entirely vulgar, if his father were here he would have been receiving a good scolding, because goodness knows Frank needs it! In fact I have good mind to write to my husband of his son's foolish endeavors."

Diana sighed in relief again, she had been waiting to see The Countess's view upon the matter, and now she was satisfied that they at least matched her and Alicia's own.

"I apologize my dear," The lady of the house continued, "If I would've known they'd be joining us, I would've told you or perhaps shifted this engagement for later. I cannot imagine how displeasing this all might be for Mrs Fleming, to have dinner with your husband's employer is distastefully awkward."

You cannot imagine how distastefully awkward it is for us as well, Diana thought, thinking of her and Alicia.

"What is done is done, Aunt Agnes. You don't have to apologize for anything," Diana beamed, a confident smile on her face, "We shall enjoy our stay here immensely, despite this small inconvenience, shan't we Theodore?" Diana turned to the eager little boy standing at her side as she kissed his hand.

Lunch was a happy and cheerful event, as the ladies all discussed the weather and the state of affairs of Southampton, all while munching on delicious delicacies such as crumpets and chicken sandwiches. The Countess particularly liked talking about that county, for she held it in such high regard. They discussed the season, and ultimately the weddings that were in store.