Chapter 8

And then it happens what you predicted. Meredith wakes you one night, eyes full of panic and fear.

-The baby... - she whispers and you take only one second to stop your fear and force yourself to reason as a doctor. You knew it. It's no surprise.

You help Meredith dress and tell Zola to wake the boys, that her baby sister is coming and you need to go to the hospital. Then she is in the OR and you're waiting whit Henry and Bailey eventually falling asleep and Zola perched on the chair and looking ready to run.

-She will be alright... - and is more a question than a statement but you nod, running a hand on her back like Meredith does with you when your stressed.

-Daddy wasn't alright-. She's looking at you with eyes full of tears and you take her hands in yours, giving her the attention she really needs.

-It's different, sweetie. Your daddy was really sick and it was an accident.. A special situation. Your mommy is giving birth to your sister and I promise you nothing will go wrong-.

You hope you're right because this is your job and you didn't save everyone.

-Okay. I trust you-. She puts her head on your lap and in a moment she's sleeping.

You look at the three of them another time before taking out your phone.

-Alex...Meredith's in labor...Yeah, I'm with them. They're asleep...Okay... -

-Addison- he calls you before hanging up - did you tell her?-

-No-.

He sighs resigned and a bit frustrated but you know is only a way to not think of Meredith in a OR, of everything that could go wrong.

At the end nothing went wrong and mother and daughter are fine.

Ellis is beautiful and she has Derek's eyes (and you know every baby eyes are blue at the beginning but this is not the point).

-She's amazing, Mere-

-She's like him- she's crying but are happy tears, you know it.

-Yeah-

-You want to hold her? - and without waiting for an answer she puts the child in your arms, giving her attention to the other kids.

The child is really beautiful and you feel  your heart breaking. Is it really the beginning of the end?

~~~~~~

Yes it is, you discover some weeks later, when Alex comes for taking her home.

-Tell her-he whispers in your ear while Meredith and Zola and Bailey are saying goodbye to Henry. (The kids are crying and you want to copy them).

-I can't-

-You'll regret it-he warns you and he's right but you really can't.

-She's in love whit Derek- are your finale words.

Meredith hugs you and (it's your imagination) she lingers more than necessary.

-I'll miss you, Addie. I love you-(as a friend)

-Me too, Mere. Me too-(I love you, too) (not as a friend).

You remind her of your promise to call each other and she thanks you another time.

-So, if I have a meltdown I can still call you? -. Alex laughs and hugs you - Sure, but only if I can do the same-

-What am I? You're person? - you joke but his answer let you stunned.

-Sure. We can say so. You're my person and I'm yours-

-But Meredith... -

-There's still Yang and who says you can only have one person? -.

Yeah, he really grown up and maybe is really also thank to you.

You hug the kids and watch them leave, Henry crying and a weight setting on your heart.

-Come on, sweetie. Let's go inside-.

You take his hand, the other in your pocket's jeans, where you find a piece of paper.

"This is not the end. She loves you, I know it. Don't give up".

Karev, you think shaking your head, a small smile lighting your face.