Chapter 9 - To Pique a Powerful Man

854

[Naomi]

Reiner...

Amongst the ear-throbbing festival music, my senses blurred and zoned out as Reiner's hazy blue eyes collided onto my utterly stunned gaze. I attempted not to look as if I found him familiar, I attempted to make it seem like I was a distant stranger, a foreign official- and it was so painstakingly difficult because that meant I had to resist the urge to just run and throw my arms around him.

He had unspeakably committed many crimes against me, against my comrades and my people; but that betrayal seemed to dim for a moment of sentiment and I could picture it all in my head. I would hug him, never caring about what the kids or Zeke Jaeger thought. It would be so tight that he'd be forced to hug me back, and I'd just bawl my eyes out at him, tell him how much I missed him, and Annie, and Bertholdt.

But alas, this was reality- comrades pretend to be traitors, friends pretend to be strangers.

"Reiner?" Zeke snapped, tilting his head at the utter fluster and shock on his friend's face at the sight of me. "You alright, mate? Star struck?"

He looked so old... And depressed. His firm and masculine figure stiffened as well as mine, but I could see his heart shatter after seeing me again for the very first time in nearly four years. My chest constricted, and my windpipe twisted into a close.

"Probably because Miss Dietrich is so pretty!" Gabi mused, looking up at me with gleaming eyes. I forced a flattered laugh as I put a hand over her head commendably.

"You flatter me, darling." I smiled down at her, heightening up her awe. As I lifted my now composed gaze up at the two blonde men, I tilted my fedora in an even lower angle, now casting a slightly obscuring shadow over my face.

He was a stranger to my red hair, only seeing it once, and not even in its most natural state- and I clung to that fact for security that he would think twice upon recognizing me.

"C-Celine...?" Reiner stuttered in a somber whisper, tearing my breath away from me and trampling my heart into pieces. It wasn't my real name, no, it was the name they used to call me back when I still didn't know my true identity- but it still sent a stake through my chest. Because of them, that name of mine was sentimental to me.

I clenched my fists, trying to recompose myself with my signature Daisy Dietrich smile and tonality. "Excuse me, sir?"

Reiner blinked rapidly, shaking his head to wake- probably convincing himself that it wasn't the very girl he treated so much like his younger sister back then. "I-I'm sorry, miss. I mistook you for a... Dear friend of mine."

He looked so hopeful when he whispered my name. And then so hurt when he thought himself insane for his old friend Celine to be here, right now, in front of him.

Zeke noticed the tension between the two of us, and immediately tried to simmer it down. "Er... Excuse me, have you two met before?"

"I believe I won't be forgetting if we had." I answered quickly, before Reiner could say anything, making his eyes widen in further confusion as I brought my gaze to Zeke. "Zeke Jaeger and Reiner Braun... Marley's honorable warriors. I had only now just realized who the two of you are. Pardon me."

"It's completely fine, Miss Daisy." Zeke smiled, and then proceeded to step in between me and Reiner. "Reiner, this is Miss Daisy Dietrich, and Miss Daisy, this is Reiner, a friend and comrade of mine."