Chapter 11 | The Ring and Flowers

Start from the beginning

"The Biebers?" Peter's voice shifts my attention back.

"Of course," I answer without looking at him, lying back on the couch as I look out of the window. "I love them."

He puts another checkmark on the paper. "What about Selena?"

The question makes me snap my head toward him.

"Is that even a question?" I ask him in disbelief. "Yes. Hell yes. Peter, she should be at the top of the list," I shout.

Peter looks at me with doubt. "You know, if you invite the Biebers, it might not be a good idea to invite her over—"

"For God's sake, Peter." I roll my eyes. "She moved on a long time ago. I don't care. I'm not going to choose one of them."

Peter puts his pen under his chin, thinking, but then he nods in understanding. I sigh.

Paul squeals in delight as he finds something that might be the perfect wedding venue. He snaps his head toward me, his eyes sparkling with excitement.

It's funny that he was skeptical at first regarding the wedding, but once he starts digging into the venue options, he turns into a kid who just found Santa Claus. "Cassie, since we don't have much time, I suggest that we have the wedding here, in LA. And the Beverly Hills Hotel has this beautiful Crystal Garden—"

"I'll go with anything you choose, Paul." I smile, knowing the place that Paul has just talked about. It's one of the glitzy venues chosen by celebrities for their weddings.

Paul smiles at me sadly as I show little interest in my wedding. Well, it's not like I'm going to marry the man that I love.

I stare at the diamond ring on my finger, the ring that Luke has given me, the one I'll show to the world as my engagement ring. It's breathtaking, crafted in solid white gold, with a round-shaped blue diamond set into a gorgeous floral basket setting of little white diamonds.

It's ironic because blue is my favorite color, and now I have this stunning blue diamond as my engagement ring.

But no matter how beautiful it is, I'd rather wear a cheap ring gifted by the man I love than an expensive one given by a stranger.

"I just can't wait until you try the wedding dress." Paul still can't hide his excitement as he shifts his attention back to the laptop.

More days pass, and just like I expected the news of my engagement with Luke causes an uproar in the world. And just like Luke said, before that happens, the clarifications regarding all the misunderstandings of my previous relationships break the headlines.

I'm proven innocent, definitely not a homewrecker. Thank God.

The person who suffers the most is Brian Russel, who is proved to have assaulted me in public and cheated on his wife.

My relationship problems with Jude remain private, and I'm grateful for that. I'm grateful that Luke listened to me in the end even though I wonder why.

Anybody can tell that he's a person who wouldn't negotiate, but strangely, he has proven to me more than once that it's not entirely true. Maybe he has realized that attacking my superstar ex-boyfriend isn't the best idea before our wedding.

Now that I think about that, anything can happen within this month. Anything can prevent this wedding from happening.

Our engagement news must have reached his parents and former fiancée too. I wonder what they think about that—they might be furious as hell.

I just hope that I won't find any mad woman storming toward the altar on our wedding day.

*

"The wedding dress will be ready for the fitting tomorrow," Paul chirps.

I'm staring into the mirror, listening to Paul tattering again about my wedding preparation as I sit at the dresser, waiting for a studio staff member to call my name.

Tonight, I'm going to do my first interview since my engagement to Luke was announced. I'm at Ella Deaguero's studio.

I've known her quite well and have done numerous interviews with her. But that doesn't mean that I'm less nervous.

Because now, I have to play along with the script Luke has instructed me to follow. Talking about our fake love.

And lying isn't my best ability.

Paul has finished glowing me up. I'm dressed in an off-the-shoulder black dress, knee-length. My hair is tied up in a high ponytail, accentuating my bare shoulders. My lips are covered in soft pink gloss.

Paul scrolls through his phone, frowning.

"Cassie, did you tell Luke about the flowers?" he asks, curiosity in his voice. "How come they already requested countless daisies for the garden decoration? I haven't told them anything about that."

I know what Paul means. Daisy is my favorite flower, and I've never spoken of it in my interviews, so only the people close to me know about it.

"Come on, Paul. It's not rare to see them in a garden wedding," I say. "Maybe the organizer just figured that it matches their theme."

Paul's face falls as he sees another sight of how unenthusiastic I am about the wedding. "For me, it's rare. Strangely, they aren't prioritizing garden roses or peonies, considering how luxurious the event will be."

That crosses my mind too, but I can't really pay attention to what he's saying because I'm bloody nervous about the interview.

A knock from the door startles us, and I snap my head toward it.

"Cassie, it's showtime," a studio staff member informs me, and I stand up.

I take a deep breath, and Paul smiles at me.

"Don't worry, darlin'." He pats my shoulder. "You'll be fine."

"Wish me luck." I bite my lower lip and totter toward the door.