• Chapter Five •

"Well," a voice comes down from the heavens, slicing through the tense atmosphere of the crowd. "That said, it seems a bit excessive to fail each applicant."

A whirring noise floods the area as a large blimp comes into view. I stare up at it in wonder.

"The symbol of the Hunter's association! Must be someone from the Exam committee," Buhara says.

Out of nowhere, someone leaps from the flying machine. I brace myself as he lands, kicking up a ton of dirt in the process.

That must have hurt.

I brush the dirt off of me, shaking some out of my hair as well. 

Out of the dust, an old man with huge earlobes, long eyebrows, and facial hair walks forward. He seems to be the one in charge here.

"Hey, who's the old man?" Someone asks.

I notice that the man in question is wearing interesting shoes which must take a lot of balance to walk on.

"He is the head of the Exam committee and he is responsible for the Hunter Exam. Chairman Netero," Menchi introduces.

"Oh, I just work behind the scenes, it's not all that impressive. I only intervene when little issues like this pop up."

I watch Netero carefully, trying to size him up. Even though he appears to be an old man, I sense a great amount of power lurking behind his façade. 

"Now, dear Menchi, you have chosen to fail all of this year's applicants, reason being, as I understand it, their general reluctance to challenge the unknown."

As the chairman talks, I notice his eyes lingering on Menchi's chest. A growl begins to form in the back of my throat as he continues to keep glancing at her chest. Beside me, Hisoka glances at my laid back ears and ridged stance. He inches a bit closer to me as I try to focus on the conversation.

"No," Menchi says, "I'm sorry sir, but I snapped when a candidate insulted gourmet Hunters. I'm afraid I made the Exam harder than necessary."

I think we all knew that.

"I see. And it seems you're aware that you made this Exam completely unacceptable."

"Yes, it's just that I get so emotional when food is involved. I'm not suited for this position,' Menchi admits, hanging her head. "So I must resign as examiner. Please let them retake the second phase!"

I frown. I like her! I don't want another examiner!

"I can't imagine where we would find an examiner on such short notice."

"My deepest apologizes, sir."

"Hold on, I have an idea!" Netero puts up a finger, "You continue serving as examiner, but you yourself must participate alongside the applicants in completing whatever assignment you choose."

Menchi straightens up.

My tail wags. That would be great! Then we can see exactly what she wants from us!

"Well, what do you say? Sound fair? Surely that would make the applicants more comfortable with the results."

"I suppose you're right. And, I have just the thing for the new challenge. We'll all be making boiled eggs!"

I tilt my head in confusion as the other applicants chatter with uncertainty.

Boiled eggs?! What can be difficult about boiled eggs?

"Chairman, since I see you brought your airship, would you mind taking us all to Split Mountain?" Menchi asks, gesturing to the blimp.

"Split Mountain? Oh, I see, yes of course."