• Chapter Three •

"I like your moustache," I say to the examiner as more people reach the end of the stairs, "It's pretty cool!"

"Thank you."

I notice Leorio is now shirtless, huffing and puffing as Kurapika comes up behind him. Making my way over to them, I overhear Gon telling the two about how the First Phase isn't over yet.

"Satotz-san said we have a ways to go yet," I comment, butting into their conversation.

My e/c eyes scan the surrounding area, taking note of how the fog begins to clear. Kurapika also notices.

"The fog is lifting."

The smog dissipates, revealing marshlands as birds take to the sky in an uproar. I stare at the birds, licking my lips as hunger shakes my stomach.

Too bad there's no time for hunting, I sulk.

Satotz starts talking, "-also known as Swindlers Swamp. We must cross it to reach Phase Two of the Exam. This place is home to a variety of strange and bizarre animals, many of which are crafty creatures who deceive and feast on human prey."

Ooh, excellent.

"So please be very careful."

He turns and points a finger in the air, "If you're deceived, you'll surely die."

Obviously

Obviously.

The way behind us is sealed as a man struggles to pass through, ending up trapped behind the door.

Sucks to be him.

"These wetland creatures are not to be underestimated, for they will use every trick in the book to fool their prey. This is an ecosystem where all creatures hunt by the art of deception. That is why it is also known as Swindlers Swamp."

I listen intently, snickering at peoples' shocked gasps. As if they had no clue animals could be crafty and deceptive.

"Now then," he turns away again, "Please follow me closely so you won't be deceived."

I skip to where Satotz stands, ready to get on with it.

A sudden shout stops anyone from moving.

"Don't fall for it!"

A man appears from around the corner, looking pretty beat up, "Don't let them fool you. He's lying. That man has lied to you!"

The guy points an accusing finger towards Satotz-san. I raise a brow, now standing directly beside the examiner.

"He's an imposter! A total fraud! I'm the real examiner!"

Ha, I don't believe that for a second.

"I'll prove it!" He drags a Satotz lookalike from around the corner, "This is a man-faced ape! They love  the taste of human flesh but their limbs are very thin and long so they're actually quite weak. That's why they disguise themselves as humans. They trick us into following them into the wetlands where they work together with other creatures to kill and eat us."