• Chapter Two •

An alarm rings, catching everyone's immediate attention, mine included.

A cement wall starts to raise, revealing a man in a suit.

A moustached man walks purposefully towards the group, accounting for all the participants.

I smile at him, recognizing him as a person of authority. Though it may seem strange, he doesn't appear to have a mouth, only a well-groomed moustache.

"I apologize for the delay, thank you for waiting. The entry period for Hunter applicants is officially closed. So, with no further ado, the Hunter Exam will now begin."

Everyone seems to smirk.

I grin, practically bouncing with enthusiasm.

The examiner continues, "One final word of caution, if you're short on luck or ability, keep in mind that there's a very real chance you could end up seriously injured. Death is another distinct possibility."

His words don't frighten me in the least, in fact, they only build up my excitement.

"If you're willing to accept the risks involved, I'll ask you to follow me now. But, for the rest of you, kindly exit into the elevator behind you."

No one bats an eyelash.

"Alright then. Very well. All 405 applicants will now participate in Phase One."

I smile at Gittarackur, who currently stands beside me, "Good luck!"

He doesn't answer (not to my surprise), instead beginning to diligently follow the crowd.

Shrugging, I stand and obey the orders to trail after the purple-haired moustache man.

After a few minutes of walking, I catch up to the man.

"Excuse me, you never introduced yourself," I say pointedly with a small smile.

His eyes flicker to me, "How rude of me, I didn't did I? I am Satotz, your examiner for the first phase of the exam."

He raises his voice so everyone could hear him, "It is my responsibility to bring you to the Second Phase."

"Second?" Hanzo's voice calls out. "Whatever happened to the first?"

"The First is already underway."

Everyone begins chattering.

"The First Phase is quite simple. All you have to do is follow me to the Second Phase. So, try and keep up."

"Follow you?" Hanzo asks, clearly displeased, "That's it, there's nothing else?"

"That's right. I cannot tell you when or where we must arrive. You need only to follow me."

Simple enough! I'm great at following people!

My tag wags as I think about how easy this is going to be, glancing at the flabbergasted expressions of those around me.

Satotz picks up the pace, walking in an absurd manner.