Chapter 38: The Exterminator Pt.3

Start from the beginning

1st Floor!

The final stretch goes by even faster then the others. Chancing a glance over my shoulder, I catch sight of the snarling face of the Goblin Desperado as it matches me stride for stride. The rapier in its hands, snags on the tunnel, clearly not designed for such small spaces. I file away a mental note of this detail for future reference in case I need it. Then a spot of light appears ahead!

Bingo!

Putting on a burst of speed, I accelerate for the exit. My shoulders ram into chunks of clay and mud sticking out of the tunnel wall. It's so small I have to hunch over and bend my knees like a Feral Goblin to fit, but I can make it.

Almost there!

I can practically taste the light.

Then something blocks it.

I stare out in utter surprise.

A pair of sapphire blue eyes under a crimson-cloak stares back with equal surprise.

Who the hell are you?

"You're...!"

#

I don't know why I don't trust the man. Maybe it's the vicious way his eyes tighten when he sees me coming out of the escape tunnel. Or maybe it's because I used to be a Death God. One killer instinctively recognizes another when they see each other.

Danger!

That's all I think before I jerk my head back.

Basic Prescience activates, but it's too slow.

Or maybe this man's moving too fast-

*Weng*

The man's sword appears in the space my head used to be. A thin silver line which tries to puncture my eyeball, but I'm just out of reach.

"You're good at running." He mocks me. Then he pulls his blade back out of the hole and clenches his fist. "I'll let you run all you want then, Rat! You...seal it!"

"You could ask nicely." Someone out of sight says grumpily.

"Seal it...please."

Suddenly the tunnel walls begin to rumble in front of me.

A System Skill?

Earthen Wall!

A mound of unbreachable rock closes off the hole. Before the two sides connect between us, I hear my would-be murderer laugh.

"Go ahead, try to find another way out! But I bet I can seal them off faster than you can run, RAT!"

"You're awfully melodramatic." The other person who, presumably is responsible for sealing the tunnel, sighs as the hole closes. "Let's make this quick. I need to get back to the frontlines."

They're from the frontlines?

*Clack*

I have no choice but to turn back now with two hostile high-levels on the surface. Unfortunately, the mutant goblins have caught up while I was distracted.

Ahh...well this isn't good.

The Desperado cackles though its wide shoulders can barely fit in the tight tunnel. Behind it, the Shieldmaiden glares at me and I have to wonder if it just hates humans that much or if it's the same one, I gave the slip to last time.

Guess it's just you and me, huh?

My chipped cleaver is looking awfully outmatched. Wrinkling my nose at the disgusting smell, I don't waste any time.