♥04♥ Beyond my outstretched hand is nothing

Todoroki and Bakugou went to get the Gou's parents. Ranfa and Kirishima were alone with one another, with a Gou's corpse as their company. 

"Was it the only choice there was?" He broke the silence between them. Behind them, the sea was calm. It was as if the battle with the sea serpent never happened. Kirishima looked at Gou and he felt so sorry for the boy; he's so young! "Why did it have to come to this?!"

"That's why I have to be the one to do it. Hesitation, one's own emotions, and one's own morality; these gets in the way of making a decision. Time is flowing with each hesitation, that's why I did it. I had to end Gou's life to put an end to that monster. If I didn't do that, there will be many more lives lost. Somebody had to do it." 

"Ranfa..." Was it Kirishima and the others who were naive? Or were the Shiranui Heroes the ones who were being realistic? Was it right to sacrifice a life if it meant saving thousands of lives? What kind of a world was it if it allowed the life of one person be the only price in exchange to protect thousands? Where was the world's balance in that one life that was chosen to be the sacrifice? 

When Ri and Lio finally made it, the huge family grieved at the fact they have now lost one member of the family. The female students of 1A were visibly upset because they liked Gou's drawing and they were complimenting about his work of art not so long ago and now he ended up dying. 

"Gou said "Tell my mom and dad that I love them. Tell my brothers and sisters that I love them. I might not tell them often but I do love them" He was a very brave little boy with absolute resolution in his soul." Ranfa said to the grieving parents and siblings of Gou.

Mina looked at Ranfa. She ran up to Ranfa and she slapped Ranfa's mask off of her face. 

"Ashido!" Kirishima stopped Mina from trying to make a second slap. Kirishima gasped when he saw Mina crying. The tears were from sadness and frustration.

"Gou-kun wanted to become a mangaka! He wanted to make a wholesome story so sweet that he will give everyone diabetes! Why?! Why did you take away this little boy and his dreams?! Who gave you the rights to decide his life can be used like that?!" 

Ranfa looked at Mina with an indifferent look before attempting to pick up the kitsune mask. 

"Are you putting on the mask to hide what you did?!" 

Ranfa paused, "You seriously think us Shiranui Heroes wear masks to hide for that reason? That's why you are a child." 

"You...!" 

"We wear these masks so when it is the time to take the life of a person, they won't see our hesitation. We don't just kill our enemies, we put down the ones who cannot be saved...if we hesitate, how can people put their trust in us?" 

Mina didn't say anything. 

"Gou-kun doesn't want to die, who wants to die? But Gou-kun was smart enough to know if he doesn't put his life in my hands, the monster he was attached to would have hurt people from your country or he would hurt and kill people back on the island. Gou-kun chose to walk to the end of this path because to him it was the 'right' decision. There isn't a right or wrong in this, Pinky, and if you disrespect Gou-kun any further, I will be angry." 

"How am I being disrespectful?!" 

"Everyone here on Shiranui Island knows what will happen if a human is turned into a monster but here you Heroes from a foreign country keep giving us false hope everyone can be rescued after they have turned. I should be asking you guys how many people are you willing to let the monsters kill before you will come to do what I did."