THE FÜHRER'S DAUGHTER (Episode 3 of 5) Chapter 4

Start from the beginning

“The palace archives.”

Drexler’s eyes narrowed as the rage churned within him. “How is this possible?”

“Wasn’t there a security breech recently?”

Drexler nodded. Just how many more photos he’d foolishly kept had survived the incinerator? “Ah, yes…It was just my daughter…And a guard, who we executed that evening. That boy couldn’t have had time to disseminate anything he might have found.”

“And your daughter?”

“Clueless about such matters. But presently, she is under the misguided influence of corrupt Infekts. We need her back here so I can explain the truth to her.” He gave Werner a stern look. “That is highly classified, understood?”

He nodded. “Could she have helped leak these photos to Belfour?”

“Doubtful, but we can never be sure of anyone, can we?”

Werner shook his head. “No, sir.”

“Has this gone public yet?”

“Sir, that’s why I came to you. It’s actually gone viral and I’m not sure we’ll be able to stop it.”

“Of course we can, don’t be ridiculous.”

“The pictures are not digital, they are old-style photocopies—”

“Photocopies!” Drexler’s clenched his fist. How had anyone retained such outdated technology without being arrested?

With an arched eyebrow, Werner rocked on his heels. “I suspect they are being manually distributed in secret.”

Drexler kicked the chair at his desk. “Issue a decree: Anyone caught in possession of materials disparaging the Empire with such lies will be subject to arrest. As a matter of national security, the government will exercise the right to take over businesses as well as seize personal property. No one should be passing this around. And extend this to the online media centers—government and civilian. If the ISM finds that their servers contain or disseminates such information, they will be in violation as well.”

“It may be worthwhile rounding up a few ‘violators’ to make examples of,” the Colonel said.

“Make it happen.”

Werner nodded. “As you command, mein Führer.” He turned and exited the room.

Alone again, Drexler’s eyes went straight for more of his elixir. It was starting to bother him how instinctively he turned to the bottle, and how often.

Rumors.

Sophie had warned about them years ago. And over the past few months, there had been a few, but he’d dismissed them as the mere ranting of fear-mongers.

He should have paid closer attention.

Through unofficial channels, he’d heard of the looming unrest of the outer districts. Those stupid, entitled governors, whining and complaining of unfair allocation of resources, financial, natural, and otherwise. What they really lacked was the man-power of the Belegshaft. But that was something the outliers of this country could not handle, if they knew the truth.

Now, all they needed was the right push to turn their frustration into action. And that was something Drexler could not deal with. Especially these days with Grace running out of control, Schroeder seeking any chance to play Brutus to his Julius Caesar, and worst of all, the Kaiser—Klaus Hitler, breathing down his back.

Could things possibly get any worse?

He poured himself another drink.

His secretary buzzed his intercom, starling him into spilling the liquor on his desk. He swore and pressed the button on his intercom. “Now what!”

“Sir, I’ve got a call for you on the secure line. It’s the Kaiser.”

To be continued...

 -------------------------------

If you enjoyed this, please help keep this and my other works free. Vote, follow me, comment, and please add to your library!

Don't want to wait for the rest of this episode to unfold? 

Episode 3 is already out for on ebook reader platorms for less than a Caramel Macchiato. All the thrills, all the action, and all the intrigue. Find the entire episode here: http://bit.ly/TFDPEP3WP or wait for my next chapter by chapter update.

If you subscribe to my newsletter, you'll be the first to know of the following episode release dates before the rest of the world! Plus, you'll be automatically entered for giveaways every month, including a $100 Amazon gift card. Sign up here:

www.Joshua-Graham.com/GIA