t h i r t y o n e

I had managed to keep my interactions with Lip to the minimum, but also not that he thought I was pissed with him again.

I didn't have sex with him the other night when we smoked, I think he understood that I wasn't in the mood and instead just told me about the professor guy that wants him to go to University of Chicago.
I felt bad because he doesn't even seem to consider it a possibility, I think he's thinking more about following Fiona's steps and staying around to look after Debbie, Carl and Liam. He's still got a year of school left like me so maybe I can change his mind before then.

I walked downstairs, my hair thrown up carelessly in a messy bun when Grace bursted through the door.

"Beth come on, we're going bowling." Grace urged and I raised my eyebrows at her.

"Grace, what are talking about? I just got out of bed." I mumbled while rubbing my eyes.

"Lip knows a guy at the bowling alley who will let us play for free, everyone is going even Kev and Vee's foster kid, Ethel." Grace replied edging back towards the door.

"Fine, I'll go get dressed." I agreed turning around to go back to my room and change.

I put on a pair of grey leggings, a tank top and a flannel. I took my hair down and brushed it out, it looked terrible so I tied it in a low ponytail. I pulled my shoes on and went downstairs, I grabbed my coat from the hook next to the door and locked the door after I left. I spotted Debbie, Carl and Grace walking down the steps across the street.

Frank was behind them talking to all three of them and opening the gate for them, I saw a young girl who looked as if she wanted the ground to swallow her. The Victorian style dress and overcoat she wore caught my attention, Kev caught up with her and said something that made her smile. I waited at the gate for Lip who was wrapping a scarf around his neck, a small smile rose to his face when he saw me.

"Hey, wow Grace really wasn't lying when she said that you only woke up." Lip greeted and rolled my eye falling into line behind Kev and who I presumed was Ethel.

"Is it a crime to sleep in?"

"No, you look cute when you're all drowsy." Lip pointed out and I blushed looking away from him.

"What's the deal with Frank?" I asked gesturing to him telling Debbie, Carl and Grace some sort of story.

"It's just some bullshit thing he's doing for money, it won't last long." Lip grumbled, his mood changing entirely.

"What do you mean?"

"It's all an act, he has to say sober for two weeks to get three thousand dollars. He's promising Carl and Debs all these things that he'll never do." Lip answered while pulling out a cigarette.

"At least he's spending time with them." I reasoned, I rarely ever saw Frank actually interacting with any of his kids unless he needed money or help with something.

"Yeah, father of the fucking year." Lip muttered as he took a drag from his cigarette, he held it out to me but I shook my head.

We walked in silence for the rest of the way, I could tell that Lip wasn't too happy about Frank being there. My stomach growled loudly as we approached the entrance of the bowling alley.

"You hungry?" Lip asked with what I thought sounded like concern in his voice.

"I'm okay, just wasn't in the mood for breakfast." I responded which was true, some mornings the thought of breakfast made me nauseous.

"Shouldn't skip it, it's the most important meal of the day." Lip reminded me as he held the door open for me.

We all waited to the side as Lip approached a tall guy behind the counter who looked about a year older than me and Lip, the guy fist bumped Lip and placed all of the different shoes on the counter. Grace, Debbie, Carl and Frank raced ahead of the rest of us grabbing their shoes and heading to the two lanes we were going to be playing at.