Chapter 16 : Mix up

Chapter 16

The next day...   

Riker POV

"Riker, come on. You've slept for long enough. I have news to tell you," Ross said, shaking me.

I groaned. My legs feel so sore and I'm still so tired.

"What?" I asked.

"So, I talked to dad. Don't worry because I stood at the bottom of the stairs and he stood at the top, so we're safe. He agreed to get us internet while we're here at the cabin. So that's the good news. The bad news is Rocky still isn't doing good. Well, I mean nobody is really doing good. But dad is worried about Rocky. And they won't let mom visit him because she has the virus and they don't want extra people with the virus at the hospital."

"Ugh, that sucks. What if Rocky gets lonely?"

"Then we can FaceTime him," Ross said, handing me my phone.

"How did you get this?" I asked.

"Dad threw our phones to me, and don't worry. I sanitized them. And I connected us to the internet."

"Oh. Sweet. Thanks."

"I already texted Rocky earlier. But basically, he's having a hard time breathing because he's coughing so much. He stopped throwing up for the most part, but sometimes he throws up if he coughs too much. And he doesn't like the hospital food they're giving him. Oh and I guess they wake him up multiple times in the middle of the night to do random tests."

"That's annoying. Are they giving him medicine?"

"Yeah, they're giving him nausea medicine and something for his cough. Oh I think he said he had a fever too. But yeah, they're giving him medicine."

"Ok. Good."

I started texting Rocky. Ross made us both cereal and handed me my bowl. And then Rocky FaceTime called me.

"Hey, Rocky."

"Hi."

"How are you feeling?"

"Not so good."

He started coughing a little.

"Me and Ross are the only ones not sick with the virus so we're basically stuck down here in the basement. But we convinced dad to get us internet so at least we can talk to you and keep you company," I said.

"Thanks. It's pretty boring here. They're bringing me terrible food and all I can do is sit in bed and watch tv or go on my phone."

"I'm sorry."

"It's ok. I'm glad you're safe though. And Ross too. I've never felt so sick in my entire life."

He started coughing again.

"What have you guys been up to?" Rocky asked.

"Well yesterday we got food from the gas station since everyone else was in the kitchen. And then we shoveled a ton of snow and played hockey. But I'm super sore now. Ross is fine somehow," I said.

"Did you fall through the ice?"

"No," I said, rolling my eyes.

"Oh, you know what else they're doing to me?" Rocky asked.

"What?"

"They like to take my blood in the middle of the night and apparently my numbers are like... super messed up."

"Oh... Really?"

"Yeah. Like how you said your numbers were messed up."

"That's... weird... Maybe we have the same thing...?"

"Yeah, that's what I was thinking. So maybe I'm going to die."

My stomach dropped.

"No. Don't even start that. I'm anxious enough already. You're not going to die. You're going to be fine," I said.

"I hope so. Sometimes I start coughing and it feels like I can't breathe. It's kind of scary. I have to go. My doctor wants to do another test. Oh, but dad said call your doctor and find out what he wanted because it's urgent."

"Ok. I will. Feel better, Rocky. Text me if you have any updates, ok?"

"Ok, I will. Bye."

I looked at Ross, who looked nervous.

"He's going to be fine," Ross said.

"I hope so," I said, biting my lip.

"Now call your doctor and find out what's up."

"Ok."

I called my doctor. His nurse answered and then transferred me to him.

"Is this Riker?" He asked.

"Yes."

My heart was pounding in my chest. He said it was urgent. Am I about to die? Do I need to go to the hospital immediately?

"So... Funny story... Um... I've actually mixed up your bloodwork numbers with your brother Rocky's. Your names are so similar, I guess I just mixed them up by accident. Your numbers are fine. You don't need to go to that endocrinologist I referred you to. And I doubt you'll die if you get the virus. You can basically just disregard everything I told you before. I'm really sorry for the mixup."

"Um... It's ok. Thanks for telling me..."

I hung up, not even knowing what to feel.

"What did he say?" Ross asked.

"My numbers are fine. He mixed up my numbers with Rocky's numbers. Which means I'm completely fine. But Rocky could totally die."