four

evie
-

Saturday

I woke up to the smell of butter sizzling on a skillet which only hinted that someone was making pancakes downstairs. That someone being the dark haired beauty that I've felt curious about for the past two days.

Curious about what was going on in her head for her behavior to change so quickly around me.

It wasn't a bad change but, it certainly wasn't something I was used to. The change was more.. flirty and mischievous. It made my stomach flutter for the first time in years and it was kind of nice but it was also scary.

I didn't want to lose my friendship with Nayelli.

I lifted myself from the bed and quickly showered before I got ready for the day. Nayelli and I were supposed to go dress shopping for Isabelle's birthday celebration next weekend. After stressing myself over getting ready to get back to teaching, I really needed this shopping and a night out.

"Good morning," Nayelli greeted me as I walked into the kitchen. Her eyes looked away from what she was doing on the stove and followed me when I walked past her towards the freshly brewed coffee.

"Good morning," I greeted her back in a soft voice as I opened a cabinet to reach for a mug.

I tipped toed to reach for the second shelf that was ridiculously high up. It was like the person who designed the house meant to build it for people who were giants, I could hardly reach a lot of things in the home.

"I got it." I heard Nayelli's voice and soon felt her warmth behind me as she reached up brushing her arm against mine to grab the mug I was going for.

She brought it down then placed it on the counter and gave me a warm smile. "How'd you sleep?" She asked cleaning her hands on the towel that was in them. I watched her return to the stove to turn the knob back to its original place that would put out the flame beneath the pan.

"Well. What about you?" I asked in return while pouring the hot dark beverage into the mug.

"Great actually. Seeing as I finally woke up before you did and am already cooking breakfast for the both of us." Nayelli chuckled flipping the last pancake onto the plate that was lacking an even number.

I giggled agreeing with her and grabbed my plate from the counter then followed Nayelli out back to sit at the garden table.

A tradition we did on weekends when we actually had time to sit down and eat breakfast. Normally on weekdays we'd only have time for coffee and a granola bar that would have to be eaten in the car.

"So, after breakfast I was thinking we could go into the city and get dress shopping out of the way already. Which might take an hour or two, and in that case we'd have lunch after at a cafe I know you'd love. Then if you're up for it still.. I'd like to have that movie night with you later on once we've rested for a bit."

I smiled with my mouth closed as I finished chewing my food and looked at Nayelli with narrowed eyes. "So is this like a date?" I asked teasingly.

Surprisingly her face flushed a light red hue. Had I accidentally caught on to something she was secretly planning?

"No. It's just two friends spending quality time together that's all," Nayelli corrected me while clearing her throat and paying more attention to the pancakes on her plate.

I suppressed my smile from growing any bigger and hid it behind my mug as I took a sip from it.

Nayelli carried herself as a professional working woman around others but, deep down she had her own insecurities and was sometimes too vulnerable that her feelings would get hurt. It took me a bit to learn how to joke around her out of courtesy and being a decent human being.