Chapter seven- What happened?

Eliza p.o.v

I sprinted through the jungle, the sound of screaming and yelling increasing in volume and desperation. Sun and the ocean breeze hit me as my feet began running across sand instead of dirt. My pace increased as the screams came to a jolting halt.

I soon came across Amelia and Elijah standing, terrified and pale, near the edge of the water. Tears flooded down Amelia's face and they both wore surprised expressions. A purple suitcase laid by their feet. They appeared to be frozen in fear.

When I reached them I placed a comforting hand on Elijah's shoulder. He looked at me, white as a sheet. I heard Amelia mumble something along the lines of "it took her."

It took a few moments to click, but soon I realized Milly was nowhere in sight.

It took a few more minutes before Elijah and Amelia spoke and explained what had happened to them. Even then it was mostly Elijah talking with small inputs from Amelia.

Apparently, Milly had seen her suitcase in the water and went out to get it ignoring the threat that they were unknown waters  full of sharks. She was heading back to shore with the suitcase when she began screaming. Amelia and Elijah began running towards her to try to help, but they were against an uknown assailant. All they saw was a large shadowy outline of the attacker. All they saw was the wave from the ripple of something pulling her under push the suitcase ashore and then all they saw was nothing.

We sat down and I hugged Amelia close to me, trying to comfort her and calm her down. I wiped away her tears and stroked her hair. Elijah sat there and stared out into the horizon.

Suddenly a voice from behind startled us and made Amelia jump in alarm.

"Is everything okay, we heard screaming and... Where's Milly?" Jason asked, panting.

More footsteps alerted us to the presence of Killian and Katie.

Amelia responded for us in one simple answer, "gone."

They exchanged confused looks and Katie was about to voice her confusion before I glared at her and shook my head, signalling her to not ask. She seemed to understand and didn't push it.

Together we managed to guide Amelia and Elijah back to the village along with the suitcases we believed they were trying to bring back. Throughout the whole journey I was questioning the strange furry creature clinging to Killian but I refrained from inquiring.

Upon returning to camp, I saw that Alex was still tanning and I was having a hard time restraining from slapping her.

"Oh hey," she said lazily, "what was all that noise about?"

"Are you fucking kidding me, Milly was most likely just killed and your here caring more about a tan than a human being!" I yelled at her.

She shrugged.

"Really. Even I have enough decency to actually give a damn about someone," Katie all but screamed at Alex.

"I told her yesterday, I didn't give a fuck about our survival only mine," Alex deadpanned as she got up.

A ringing slap echoed of the buildings and my respect for Katie dramatically increased. Alex stood there holding a hand to her cheek.

"What the fuck?" She screamed.

"Giving you what you fucking deserve!" Katie yelled back.

"You bitch."

"At least I'm not an insensitive one!"

"Fuck off-"

"Kate, Alex enough. They're both in shock and I think they could do without you yelling, okay," Jason spoke softly, hardly raising his voice but somehow being heard above the yelling. "Eliza you were in charge of sleeping arrangements. Let's bring them to where you put them so they can get some rest."

I brought Amelia to our shared accommodation and directed Jason to Elijah's. I was to stay with Amelia until she fell asleep and make sure she was okay. Jason was going to do the same with Elijah. Then we would help Killian and Katie with the suitcases. Alex was obviously not going to help and I was fully prepared to never talk or help her again.

After an hour or two, Amelia had fallen into a restless sleep and I was helping to hang clothes on makeshift  clothes lines made from vines to dry.

"Do you think we should look for a body, maybe to give it a you know burial?" Killian asked stroking the creature I had learned he named a floofall.

I shrugged, "that is if we can find a body, might have been shark food by now, it's a gruesome fate though."

Killian nodded and hung the last item of clothing on the line and led the way to go help Katie with moving around furniture.

"Fuuuuuuuuck, that's another fucking nail gone. Ow that hurts," Katie said clutching her hand.

"I saw a nail set when sorting the clothes. It's in the light blue case," I said.

"Thanks, never been happy at the prospect of short nails before but desperate times call for desperate measures," Katie murmured as she left the building.

I looked over at Killian, "she said thanks. Katie. Said. Thanks. I'm actually starting to like her, especially after earlier."

Killian nodded and helped lift a collapsing sofa out of the building.

"What are we going to do with the furniture we can't use?" Killian asked.

"Burn it for warmth or fuel to cook food, I dunno," I said.

Killian shrugged in response and we continued carrying the sofa to the growing pile of other unusable furniture.

"How's Elijah?" I asked Jason once he arrived at the pile.

"Asleep. He was very shaken up, but I think he'll be fine later," Jason responded.
I nodded. "I just came over to see if there is anything that I can help with," he continued.

"Yeah, there is. You can help Killian carry unusable furniture to this pile whilst I help Katie sort items out," I said.

Jason nodded and Killian looked at me like he couldn't decide whether to throttle me or to thank me. I still can't believe he didn't think I'd notice his massive crush on Jason. I mean come on, we're best friends.

With that I went over to Katie and began sorting through the items and finding places for them. We also began writing a ration list in order to prolong the amount of food they found. Doing this boring activity, I found she wasn't the worst person in the world, certainly levels above Alex, and her company was actually quite nice. I believe Katie and I might actually have a chance of being friends.