S I X

(ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 6: ᴏɴᴇ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴏʏs)

By lunch that day, the news had spread. All students at Hogwarts got a kick out of the prank that had been pulled on the infamous Marauders, and many were interested in finding out who had been behind it.

Unbeknownst to them, James Potter had figured it out. Sure, he and his friends weren't necessarily liked by all of Hogwarts, not that it bothered him, but never before had they been pranked by such lengths as they had today.

And you can ask Sirius Black, because according to him, turning into your arch nemesis is scaring.

It hadn't taken James long at all to discover who'd been behind it. The most recent prank the Marauders pulled was the paint, which had clearly backfired as they'd attacked the wrong person. The four boys expected bad blood from the Hufflepuff girl they'd doused in red paint, but they hadn't thought the quiet girl would go as far as public humiliation.

Although embarrassed at first, they were the talk of the school. And if anything, the boys were impressed by the prank. As much as it wounds them, A-class pranksters, they knew they'd never have been able to come up with the plan Valentine Lotus had.

They also knew Valentine must've been extremely dedicated to go through the work of constructing a difficult potion just to prank them. While the Marauders themself usually go for smaller, quick pranks, this is had been a huge one that took time, and they intended to fight back.

What were they going to do? Well, they hadn't gotten that far yet. And they knew that if they wanted to top Valentine's brilliant display, they'd have to do some digging. So they'd planned to head to the library that night and do some light research, but Sirius insisted on meeting the maker.

While he'd met Valentine before, he claims he wanted to know her better. He even went as far as to say they shouldn't prank her.

Sirius Black objecting to a prank? Practically unheard of in their tight-knit group of four, though Sirius had a good reason.

"If she managed to pull off something that big on us, imagine what we could do together?"

The others had taken this carefully in to consideration, agreeing that if they had one more intelligent thinker in the group, they'd excel even more at their pranks.

So James reluctantly agreed. He'd talked to the girl a couple times, and she's always been kind, and clearly she was smart. He was just worried that if she even wanted to join their group, she'd become one of them.

A Marauder.

Remus had reassured them that Valentine would be helping them take part in excellent pranks, not Marauder work. Rather it was because he didn't like the idea of a girl joining them or he was scared of hurting her, they didn't know.

So that was how they found themself at the Hufflepuff table during lunch.

                              •••