T W E N T Y - T W O

(ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 22: ʙᴀᴛʜʀᴏᴏᴍ ғɪᴀsᴄᴏ)

Valentine's head rested against the tabletop, staring down to her shoes as she partially paid attention to the words Macey was speaking.

After last nights party, the girls had stayed up late listening to Marlene speak of how 'dreamy' Sirius had been, and she, unfortunately, went into explicit detail of her and Sirius' moments.

So after they'd all woken up on that Sunday morning and puked up last nights food, they'd been on their way. Valentine, however, was extremely tired and could still feel alcohol churning in her stomach.

"Huh, that's new," Macey randomly spoke, and Valentine could her here rummaging around things on the table. "James keeps staring at you, Valentine."

Hearing these words, Valentine's head shot up. She tried to keep her face impassive, looking out the corner of her eye then back to Macey, then back to the Gryffindor table.

"Do you have something in your eye?" Macey asked, and Valentine let her posture slump, breathing through her nose.

"I'm trying not to make it obvious that I'm looking over there."

"Not only did you make it obvious," Celia stated. "But you made yourself look like an idiot."

Valentine frowned, rubbing her forehead and resting her elbows on the table.

"Do you fancy Potter now or something?" Celia queried with a disgusted face.

"I- no. I don't think so. It's just... Lily said something not long ago about us flirting and it freaked me out, and every time he says something I think of Lily saying he's flirting, and that makes me nervous, because what if he is flirting? And it's like... if he fancies me, do I fancy him because he fancies me?"

Celia and Macey stared blankly at their friend.

"So you fancy him?" Macey summarized, and Valentine shrugged.

"I dunno. Like, last night, he kept looking at me and being goofy and cute, then he told me goodnight and it was just plain weird," Valentine elaborated, unsure of how she felt towards the boy.

"I think you should jump hi-,"

"SHHH!" Valentine quickly ushered, reaching across to stuff her hand over Macey's mouth. "They're coming over."

Sure enough, the four boys claimed seats at the Hufflepuff table, and Valentine gave both Celia and Macey a warning look.

"I have an idea," Sirius began, a scary smile on his face.

"That's never good," Celia muttered, and Sirius turned to her.

"Is there a particular reason you're here, Tomsky?" Sirius snapped, shooting daggers to the girl.