"i'm not just shagging her— i'm in a relationship with her," blaise frowns, flicking a jelly bean from his bertie bott's bin at my head.

"sure you are blaise," i chuckle, restacking the books on my desk.

"what! i'm exclusively shagging her. that's a relationship if i've ever seen one."

i turn over my shoulder to raise my eyebrow at him, and he returns it with a smirk.

"i will ask her out— eventually. just got to see if this one sticks, you know?" blaise shrugs, moving over on the couch to make room for me.

"good luck with that," i smile, reaching over to collect some candies from him before settling into the seat.

as i eat, i sweep my eyes across the room— observing the neatly made bed and the well kept books. the vanishing cabinet covered by a tarp. the empty corner where a christmas tree once stood.

"i insulted the christmas tree," i mumble, staring at the space it used to inhabit.

"hm?" blaise hums, looking up from his potions essay.

"when— when we fought. i think i said it was stupid or something," i sigh resting my head in my hands. "it wasn't stupid. i don't know why the fuck i said that."

"because you're stupid, mate. you talk out of your ass half the time with no regard for how your words affect others."

i look up at blaise, who's still casually taking notes and popping jelly beans into his mouth.

he notices me staring, and shrugs with a smile, "just a theory, of course. i could be way off base."

"asshole," i roll my eyes, picking up the nearest book and pulling it into my lap.

"once again— that's you, mate." blaise smirk, nudging me with his elbow.

i scoff, smiling slightly down into my book as i shake my head.

"blaise?" i say after ten minutes, tapping my fingers anxiously against the book cover.

he looks up at me warily. first-naming is always reserved for serious occasions in our friend group.

"yeah, draco?" he replies quietly, pushing his homework off his lap and onto the table.

"i—" i cough, shaking my head. "in the case that her idea of a 'talk' today is... rather negative... i should— i should put up my defenses right? so i don't snap?"

blaise bite's in his cheek, and i can see him staring intently at me from my peripheral vision.

"occlumency, you mean?"

i nod slowly to confirm, still staring at my book.

"it could be a good idea. will help you stay calm." he agrees with me, "just in case it's— bad news." he adds quietly, shaking it off as he turns sideways on the couch to face me— anticipating what's coming.

"can you— help again?" i sigh as i ask, turning my head to him awkwardly. "with the process."

"mhm," blaise nods, lacing his fingers together and pulling them away from his body, cracking them slowly.