Chapter Forty-Three - Slow Dancing

Start from the beginning

"Maybe, but it was still pretty incredible."

"Really?" He grinned at me. His teeth a little too large and a little too white. "Not everyone's first time is memorable."

"I guess I'm just lucky then."

"Care to disclose the memorable asshole?"

"Not a chance."

Brent and I grinned at each other, a mutual respect for his asking. "Okay, one last question..."

"Shoot."

"About six months ago you were photographed leaving a Paris night club with Elijah West. Care to define that encounter?"

I swallowed, fighting to keep my face neutral. Breathe in. Breathe out. Don't fidget. That's it. Don't let him see you sweat.

"Eli and I have been friends for a very long time. It's not a secret we grew up in the same neighborhood, and our parents run in the same circles..."

"So you've never been more than friends?"

"Never." I blatantly lied, holding his gaze.

"So, would it be safe to assume you're single then?"

"Very much so." I smiled widely at him, and he smiled back. He leaned forward slowly, turning off the recorder and his fingertips brushed my knee again.

"So, off the record, does that mean you'll let me take you to dinner?" He asked, licking his full lips a little.

Brent was gorgeous, and in another lifetime I would've definitely let him take me for more than just dinner, but this man didn't even hold a candle to the man that would have me tonight. The man I wished would have me every night for the rest of my life. Sexy text messages, and FaceTime calls, and phone conversations couldn't even compare to the real deal. Eli touched me in a way no one else ever could - both physically and emotionally. Maybe that was what soulmates were made of.

"You have my number."

"I do."

I winked at him one more time before tossing my now shorter all blonde hair over my shoulder and braved the April rain. New York was fantastic during the spring, but the weather forecast called for rain all weekend. The perfect weather for walking around my apartment naked with Eli and not stepping foot outside. I had all the groceries and movies lined up for a sexfest with my best friend.

I wove my way around tourists with my clear EVOL umbrella, trying not to be annoyed. I was one of those tourists less than six months ago. The history and culture of New York were still intoxicating to me. The way the streets hummed with life, the eclectic architecture of the high rise buildings, the way people were focused but polite. Everything was so unique, so different than Malibu, but not necessarily in a bad way.

My phone chirped in my hand and I saw the only name that could make my heart race in that unstable way.

Eli :

Just landed. See you soon, kid...

Instead of answering in the English language, I selected a few strategic emojis and tucked my phone back into my bag, hustling toward my block. I needed a change of clothes, a spritz of perfume, and some good ole' fashioned liquid courage to welcome my soulmate to New York.