тридцать

january 25th

the visit to his daughter had been long overdue, and tony knew it.

it just took a bit of time to get over seeing the craze and desperation in his daughter's eyes when she confessed to despising jungkook to the point of murder.

"name of inmate?" tony was in disbelief to see such a stereotypical bored receptionist of the information desk. the sound was obnoxious when she popped her strawberry flavored bubblegum. he just knew the taste had worn off and she was chewing for the sake of annoying anyone who made her do work.

"vanessa johnson, i'm her father."

he knew vanessa wouldn't be pleased to see him after what you had told him in midst of a heated discussion, but he would try to make up for it. he knew he could.

her face was neutral when she monotonously asked, "why?"

"hey vanes, you look quite..."

"miserable, it's not a surprise. why?"

tony swallowed harshly because she didn't seem displeased. she seemed... emotionless.

"why what?"

"why are you here?"

"...i missed you."

she scoffed, her expression only bitter. "that's hard to believe after the way you looked at me before i got cooped up in here."

disgust. disappointed. it was understandable to see someone who formerly worked for the system of justice in denial of their child going agaisnt everything they believed in. but to not take a moment to think twice about their child's intentions? it fucking hurt.

"i was just..." there was no excuse. what could he say? he sighed, "i couldn't handle the news very well. i didn't know what to make of it." he licked his lips and looked down at his lap in guilt. "i'm sorry it took so long to visit you."

"was that all?" she wouldn't admit it even on her deathbed after that awful incident, but she missed seeing her father's face. but pride was a strong feeling.

"no, i... why did you do it?"

"because i didn't like him."

he rolled his eyes. "don't give me that bullshit, vanessa. you don't like a lot of people."

"i disliked him the most." he still couldn't read her face, the expression she usually wore to hide her dishonesty. but this wasn't a matter of stealing candy.

"why?"

she didn't respond. she knew better than to expose jungkook to her father, there was no point in crossing lines with that sick fuck. but you? you had no power or history with the police force. someone like you could know, but not tony.

"vanessa," he began seriously, "he's supposed to be in your place, isn't he?"

and that was all it took for tears to brim in her eyes. she didn't deserve to be here. she was suffering the consequences of a crime she didn't commit. where was jungkook? fucking his next victim by now?

"no," she whimpered. the tears were streaming down her face by then. "just leave it, dad. he's fucked up in so many ways."

tony's heart broke into two, but his face didn't show. he didn't need to fall into an emotional headspace when he believed he could fix it, and with your help, justice could be served. it will be served.

"ayen visited you, right?"

her eyes locked with her father in surprise. "yeah, why?"

"she's jungkook's girlfriend now." vanessa's face paled at the revelation. anger built up before it quickly dissipated. someone like you wouldn't be able to save her, right? it shouldn't matter. "she could be the leverage we need!"