Part I: Chapter 20

Start from the beginning

The duo continued to pass the ball back and forth until a small, desolate vibration sounded from Harper's pocket. Almost instantaneously distracted, the boy's chocolate eyes locked on his phone as he was taking it out of the pocket of his shorts.

The caller identification was glowing on the slightly cracked screen with his friend, Zach's, name on it in big letters. Harper was about to answer it until the volleyball hit him smack in the side of the head. Mason cringed as his friend's eyes bulged with the impact of the ball.

"Ow-!" Harper exclaimed as the ball continued to bounce away spitefully.

Mason recoiled at the response of Harper due to his rather hard spike to the head. "Crap, sorry--I really thought you'd return that."

"It's alright," Harper confirmed while rubbing the spot of impact. "My phone was ringing."

"Oh, alright. Who is it?" Mason asked in curiosity.

Instead of replying directly, Harper picked up the call and held his phone to his ear. "Hey, Zach! How's everything going?"

The name of their friend caught the attention of both Mason and even August, who had paused from typing on his laptop to listen to the conversation which was about to take place. They had been expecting information from Zach about his consultation, but not until at least the following Monday at lunch.

"It's going good! I just wanted to let you know about the consultation since you asked earlier," Zach replied on the other line. "I'm going to call Mason and August next since the both of them were interested in it too."

Harper smiled. "I actually have them both here with me. Can I put you on speaker?"

"Sure!"

The blond removed his phone from its place next to his ear and tapped the button with the speaker on it in order for the three of them to hear the conversation at the same time. Harper did not want to have to tell the two of them all about it afterwards and make things more complicated.

"Alright, you're on speaker," Harper told him as he and Mason walked over to where August was sitting and sat down.

"Awesome!" Zach responded in his cheery tone, which hinted at good news. "Long story short, I'm going to try the procedure on November thirteenth. They can't do it in North Carolina, so my family and I are going to Florida for the week."

Mason's eyes widened at the explanation. "No way!"

"It's like a vacation and a fifth sense coming back at once!" Harper added on.

Zach laughed on the other end of the line. "That's almost exactly what Kelsey said when I called her," he replied. "Anyway, I also wanted to tell August that the procedure will be using stem cells like he said."

"That's cool," August commented, wishing to remain quiet and simply listen.

"Yeah, it really is!" Zach continued on with speaking. "The doctor said there's a chance I could get twenty-twenty vision, but that's really rare, so I'd probably need glasses if this works."

"You can twin with August, here!" Mason exclaimed while giving August a playful smack on the shoulder.

August retaliated, "Ow-"

"Yeah, I could! I really hope this whole thing works out." Zach sounded quite hopeful and possibly even nervous.

Harper was quick to assure him. "There's no reason why it wouldn't."

"But there's a chance it won't."

"There's also a chance it will," Mason interjected his friend's negative thoughts. "You don't know unless you try."