When lightning strikes

Start from the beginning

"Huh, a little lighter. You don't wanna hit it too hard"

I moved behind him, my chest on his back and guided his hands to how hard to hammer. Toothless looked over his shoulder at me with a bright smile at how close we were. I wrapped my arms around him in a proper hug

And we spent the rest of the evening together. Turns out, toothless wasn't bad at 'human forgery' as he calls it.

*****

When the perches were finished we started with the plaza since most of the dragons were there. Most Vikings pitched in to help and it was wonderful seeing how they came together. But now we needed to test them. Astrid volunteered so she and stormfly flew up.

Stormfly was a little nervous and Astrid tried to calm her. "It's okay girl, just take it easy"

Stormfly carefully landed on the perch ready to take off in case it didn't work. But luckily, it didn't drop.

"Yes!" my brother and I shouted triumphantly. Vikings around us cheered but my attention was brought over to Ruff and Tuff who looked disappointed.

"So we built these things so stuff wouldn't break?" Tuffnut asked for clarity.

"I don't understand you people." Ruffnut grumbled as if disappointed in society.

"And they tricked us into helping them build them. I feel so used... and sweaty." Tuffnut said as he looked down. The two then threw down their tools and walked away. My brother looked and me and we laughed

'But when a problem is caused by something Vikings don't understand, they lose all sense of reason. And that can become very dangerous.'

It was that evening and Gobber decided to join us for dinner like he usually did. We all clanked our mugs together in cheers. Hiccup and I were so excited.

"Perches for dragons! Some of your best work, kids." Dad said as he went to take a drink but when he looked, he stopped. "Although we may need to move the one over the well."

We were so excited.

"And the perches are just the beginning!" Hiccup said

"We can build landing areas for them!" I continued. There were so many things we can do to make the dragons feel better.

"Maybe even stables in the caves underneath the village and-"

Dad chuckled at us.

"Easy you two, remember Berk is still for people."

"Vikings before dragons. That's how it's always been and that's how it always will be." Gobber added.

Toothless looked up from his fish basket at Gobber

"Yeah, I said it. Deal with it."

Then I jumped when a sudden loud burst of thunder was heard. Toothless bolted upstairs while the rest of us went outside.

My eyes widened at the many lightning strikes that was hitting the village. "Woah..."

"It's hitting everywhere" Hiccup said next to me,

"It usually doesn't strike here in the village." Dad commented.

"Thor must be angry." Gobber suggested . "The only other time I can remember lighting ever striking Berk-"

Dad and Gobber suddenly looked at one another as they said a name. "Barnstat."

My brother and I glanced at one another confused. "Who?" We asked simultaneously