The Masterpiece

Mulai dari awal

Y/N stood by the door with a loose fist. "Ruby....if you need to talk-"

The door opened abruptly. Ruby stood before the taller man, eyes down to the ground. The two stood in the hall in silence. The thin veil of soundlessness was permeated by one word.

"How?"

Her voice trembles. Her face began to twist in sadness, her eyes wetting with tears.

"How can someone...how could they do that? I thought...." Ruby's voice shook with every word. "People are supposed to care... They're supposed to help each other, not..."

Y/N places his hands on her shoulders. The reaper dashes forward into a firm hug. The sniper shakes with her sobs as Y/N's arms slowly wrap around her.

"Not all monsters are grimm. The worst are the ones you never expect to see." His grip tightens around her. "I'm sorry you found out this way."

The bat and the rose stood in the empty hall, leather wings all that kept the flower from wilting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Tonight on Gotham Central News, I'm getting the privilege to interview mayoral candidate Oswald Cobblepot." The anchor woman turned to the other sideof the table.

Oswald chuckles. "Well thank you, Ms. Garcia. It's my pleasure to be here."

"I'd like to get to the real meat of all of this. Police stormed your business, the Iceberg Lounge, and found several files and listings showing your purchasing the services of masked mercenaries. What do you have to say in regards to the matter?"

The question was meant to corner him, but Oswald knew better. If someone tried to trip him, he'd regain balance.

"Well Alegra, I will be one hundred percent, brutally honest...I did. I did, because of this 'Batman'."

"You were scared of an urban legend?" Alegra asks bemused.

"Oh he's no legend. Anyone who was at the Wayne gala knows that. He singled me out and chased me through the night like some rabid animal!" Oswald says with a hand on his chest. "Wouldn't you be even the least bit frightened when some masked lunatic tears through police to attack you?"

"That's a fair assessment, Mr. Cobblepot, but that can't entirely excuse the hiring of known armed killers." Alegra says pointedly.

"Alright, alright, ok." Oswald raises his hands in surrender. "I'll be frank, they aren't citizens of the year, but at least they're known. Nobody knows Batman! I can at least put a name to Deathstroke!"

Oswald leans forward with hands spread invitingly.

"That's my question to the people of Gotham: do you really want to let some violent mask wearing thug make your decisions; or would you rather someone who'll be honest, and show his face while doing it?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Black mask leaned back in the office chair. He watched the other four bosses in front of him.