Immortal Child - Chapter 10*

~CHAPTER 10~Flashbacks~ 

Alexia

               "... seven, eight, nine, ten... Ready or not, here I come."

               I ran towards the direction where I heard Roxanne's jagged breathing. Her footprints were left behind in the muddy ground, making it easier for me to find her. I sneaked up behind her, placing my hands over her eyes, giggling within as I knew she didn't take pleasure in this game.

               I loved Roxanne to bits, she was my best friend.

               Roxanne turned around, looking at me with scheming eyes. I knew she was up to something, so I turned on my heels and ran. She chased me all the way to the footpath, tackling me to the ground. She tickled me under my arms, both of us filling the woods with laughter.

               "You're my favourite cousin Lexi, always remember that." she said, hugging me snugly.

               I was in high spirits - and lucky to have Roxanne as my cousin. We were close, our minds and hearts allied by some indistinguishable source. Roxanne was my exemplar - the sister I never had.

               "Of course I am." I said, shaking my head. "The rest of our cousins are boys." We both made puking sounds and laughed in harmonization.

* * * * *

               "Alexia, Sweetheart, are you alright?" Aunt Sarah asked, bringing me back to reality from my flashback and oblivion.

               I had an enormous headache, my forehead throbbing in pain. My mind was hazy; I had difficulty focusing on my surroundings. Images flashed through my mind - memories from the past. One image stood out from all the rest - one face which I would recognize anywhere. My eyes flew open into the worried face of Aunt Sarah.

               "I... I saw her Aunt Sarah." I said, stumbling over my words. My mind was unfocused - my thoughts drifting through vacant thoughts.

               "Saw who sweetheart?" she asked, confusion shadowing her face.

               "Roxanne." I said softly, and drifted back to unconsciousness.

* * * * *

               "Lexi it's time to go! We're going to be late for school!" Roxanne yelled from the other room.

               It was my first day going to the big kid school - I was starting first grade. Roxanne was two years older than I was, which put her in third grade. I was afraid of starting school - petrified unlike other children my age. I had always been a fragile little girl - unlike Roxanne.

               Mom and Dad figured I'd be better off starting school with Roxanne around. Besides, they wanted to travel for a year. I had no dispute about staying with Roxanne. Aunt Sarah and Uncle James had always been great. They were my second parents - I loved them so much.