ch 15

Yukio stood over Rin, a gun fixated in his hand.

"See I told you I was strong,"

"Yeah I guess you are," Rin said, his fangs peaking softly within a bittersweet smile. "Sorry I couldn't be stronger,"

Yukio froze, his arms stiffening.

"If I was stronger, maybe I could... Maybe I could have saved Shiro. Maybe I could have protected you. I could have been a better brother. Sorry for failing you,"

A gunshot fired through the air, breaking any silence or peace Yukio had left.

How? after everything? Rin still... he still... well he was gone now, head smashed against the pavement, lying in a puddle of blood.

"It seems I was pursuing the wrong son." A shrill voice spoke, ripping through Yukio.

"What do you want?" Yukio spat, the cured demonic god had come to torment him once again.

"Your brother was never fit to be an heir. You on the other hand. You will make a perfect prince,"

Yukio awoke, beads of sweat appeared on his forehead. His chest heaved as he tried to reclaim what air he could.

"Who needs sleep anyway," Yukio grumbled, throwing his legs over the side of his bed and pushing himself in an upright position.

His dreams had been getting progressively worse ever since he left Japan. But at least the new job paid well, he had enough time for leisure and study. He was alone, it was partially freeing.

Being in his house, eating his food, being self-reliant.

Still, he finally understood why everyone hated being alone, he had no friends to speak of and his brother was on the other side of the world. Not to mention that he was probably hated by Rin at this point.

Leaving his brother to die by a poison he created.

What was it all for?

Separating Rin from Amaimon was such a childish goal.

Once a demon caught on to a human it would never let them go, Rin was surely stubborn enough to protect himself...

Still, Amaimon had changed Rin, it was a startling change one Yukio minded. His brother craved to spend so much time with the king, it was disturbing. But it was only normal for demons to be possessive and it was better to be someone like Rin who could defend themselves.

With a small groan Yukio walked over to the sink, gazing at his reflection he saw something.

A flicker of light within his eye, it looked similar to a certain blue flame he had grown to resent.

Had Satan been...

No, he wouldn't Satan wanted Rin.

Still, the glimmer still had to mean something, the last time his eyes glowed like this.

Only bad things resulted from this shimmer.

Oh well, he would see what the day brought.

With minimal energy he got ready for the day, taking a quick shower and prepping his food. For a little leisure, Yukio turned the tv on while he prepared for the day ahead.

He blocked out the chatter of commercials as he searched for the news channel. Finally, he came to the desired station.

Blue flames flashed across the screen. Rin stood above the water, holding what appeared to be Amaimon. Amidst the chaos, the words lulled across the banner at the bottom outlying the events prior to this.