That's why Charon was staring at me so much. He recognized me.

"That's when I knew that you were more than just a mortal tagging along with Ares. Some part of you died and... the rest of you is here." I'm... I'm just half of a whole, existing apart from my entire self. It just keeps getting worse. He averts his eyes from my own. "No one ever says goodbye when we reach the shore. But you, you were the only one who did. Then and now."

I gulp. But... how does Rhea come into play?

And Apollo... How did he know exactly what to do with my wrist? He knew that Rhea loved thunder... what does that have to do with the bruise...?

Had he... treated them before?

"Charon," Ares appears before the psychopomp, raising his eyebrow at him. He wasn't necessarily hostile, but he was certainly asserting something. "Did you need something?" The being glances at me, before dipping his head goodbye. I offer in a soft smile.

"Nope, nothing. I'll be on my way. I hope we'll meet again, under better circumstances." I watch as his figure retreats out of the room.

Ares watches the door for another second before walking toward me and passing me the vanilla file. He doesn't let go. "Before I give you this, love, promise me that it won't change your views on yourself."

"I promise." He nods, before releasing it to me. I feel like I'm sealing my fate when I open it, a lump forming in my throat.

I open it. I don't look at my picture. My eyes are immediately drawn to the cause of death. Burned. I flip past, scanning for more information.

It shows everything. Every single thing from birth to supposed death, accomplishments and adventures that no one knows about. This isn't fake. I press my lips together, finally finding the page that I was looking for. It was a detailed description of what happened that night.

The fire started. I...  There was a thunderstorm that night. My parents burned, just like in my memories. I wasn't in bed, I was outside.

In the rain.

"Lightning..." I always loved how bright lightning was. "I would go outside to watch the clouds, how did... how did I forget that?" It felt like things were sliding back into place like a curtain was drawn away.

Hephaestus was wrong. His retelling of that night came from my very own memories, from me.

"My memories were altered." Ares nods, as patient as the dusk.

 I saw the smoke rise out of the window. The image of my parent's window flickers in my mind. Why... why would their windows be open on a rainy night?

I went back in and got my brothers.

I made a mistake.

The house collapsed on me. I didn't make it out... If I was in my room like I was in my memories—If only I were in my room—

Why was it always "if"s? 

Frustration. Boiling up inside of me, pressing against the back of my throat. I don't want to fight it anymore, it's too—it's too much—

A shaky gasp leaves my mouth and I can feel it, pulsing through me. The anger. Fresh and electrifying, like the thrum of my pulse. It felt like adrenaline, my heart beating faster and faster as I breathed. Goosebumps form on my skin, perplexing in every way. 

I don't fight the anger. I let it consume me. 

The folder in my hands wrinkles up and turns a charred brown at the edges—no, at where my fingers were.

Electricity.

Dancing against my skin, against my fingers, up and down my hand. It felt strange, yet welcoming. Bright, bright like a million suns. They looked like white veins of power, a power that was foreign and so very godly. My sleeves frayed at every jolt and I recoil back, the folder completely reduced to ashes in my hands.

The lightning disappears as abruptly as it appeared.

I stare down at my fingers with wide eyes. Was that... me? "Did you—Did you see that?" Ares's eyes are silver, pure and so very gorgeous. He laughs, catching my hands in his own, fearless in all sense. My breath catches in my throat.

"Eternity has absolutely nothing on you, Mia. You never cease to surprise me."

- - -

Hiiii thanks for reading!

Anyways, let's talk about the chapter!

I've been waiting for this one. Turn it up :) lets address what you're probably all thinking, why did ares use the word "bbg"? Well cuz I wanted him to HAHA

just kidding ofc

Look look, lightning wowwww, did you guys spot what causes it to turn on? What do you think mia's going to do with it?

what do you think about charon and what he said about saying goodbye :(((

I dropped a lot of bombs on you guys these past chapters haha—

anyways, uhm, I published a poetry book recently and it'll be really cool if you could spare like $9 and get yourself one? Link in my bio!

Thank you so much!

also I just realized that when you vote and comment, it actually boosts my story for more readers to find! if you haven't voted, please do! :D it lets me know that you enjoy my content and honestly, boosts my confidence in my writing!