VII. THE ORANGE POTION

january first, two thousand and one

T H E R E  W A S  A                                                                                                                                                   sharp flavor of magic in the air, which tasted metallic on Draco Malfoy's tongue

T H E R E  W A S  A                                                                                                                                                   sharp flavor of magic in the air, which tasted metallic on Draco Malfoy's tongue. He was moving swiftly, his wand hand was waving feverishly as dustpans and feather dusters flew around the Malfoy Manor, picking up any, and all dust that had accumulated on the furniture. His eyes were darting across the rooms, as he fumbled with books and shoved papers in trash cans, his anxiety growing painful in his chest.

The fact of the matter was that Draco was nervous for Astoria to see his childhood home. He cared about what she thought and didn't want her to think that even though the Malfoy's were banished from high society, that they didn't maintain their elegance and poise in their home.

Draco had stowed his mother safely on a bed he conjured in their sitting room, swaddling her in thick blankets. She looked indifferent, as though she were caught in-between a dream and reality, mouth curved into a cursed cry.

A knock sounded on the heavy wooden door of the Malfoy Manor.

Draco waved his wand once more, and all the dusters and pans flew back into the broom closet, shutting quietly. He eyed the Manor, hoping that whoever dust and mess remained of the house, was unnoticeable to Astoria.

As he walked over to the front door, he looked over his shoulder at his frail, unconscious mother and his anxiety heightened, bringing a sharp throb to his already pounding brain. He pulled the door open, revealing Astoria's tall figure.

The robes she was wearing looked heavy from the potions she had shoved into her pockets moments before apparating over the Malfoy Manor. Her dark hair was pulled back into a ponytail and her skin was flushed red from the cold.

She looked fucking gorgeous. It wasn't fair in the slightest.

Draco's mouth fell open in what seemed to be an open-mouthed smile, though ended up looking like a nasty grimace instead.

"Erm, hey."

Astoria's brow raised questioningly. "Hey. How's your Mum?"

His head pulsed painfully.

"She's...well she's still knocked out if that's what you are asking. I set her up in a bed in the sitting room for you to wake her up."

Draco stepped back from the door, allowing a space for Astoria to walk into the Manor. She smiled at him warmly as she passed, a soft scent of eucalyptus following her in wake.

He led her deeper into the Malfoy Manor, his body twisting naturally through the hallways, but her own feeling clumsy as she followed her lanky friend.