Chapter 31 - Ada

^Jordan from District 7

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 31

POV: Ada (District 2)

Time: Night 7

Tributes Remaining: 16

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My wounds have almost all healed from the birds' attack a few days ago. In a way, I'm disappointed that the pain is fading - it kept me alert and on my feet. The bird attack was an important wake-up call for me. I won't make another mistake like that again.

I sit in the tree as insects chirp around me. After the Fallen Tributes are shown, I'm going to go hunting for tributes.

It's not long before the Panem anthem begins. I'm surprised to see Murray, my District partner, in the sky. He was very unskilled, especially compared to me, but he was from District 2 nonetheless. I'd say I feel bad, but I'm glad he got what he deserved. He shouldn't have volunteered if he wasn't prepared for the Arena like I am. After Murray is Rex from District 10. I'm less surprised by his death and more surprised that his District partner didn't die with him. I wonder what happened to her.

After the Panem anthem ends, I drop down from my tree and head out into the Arena.

After a few hours, I have luck. As I approach the tropical ring of the Arena, I almost immediately spot a poorly concealed cave entrance. Vines are sloppily thrown across the entrance. It's like whoever it was didn't even try to conceal themselves.

I'd love to say that what people say about me is wrong. That I'm not crazy. That I wouldn't kill without hesitation. But it's true. That's what makes me special. I'm not like the rest, and who says that's a bad thing? When I'm the one to make it out of the Arena alive, the others won't be laughing. They'll be wishing they were the 'crazy one.'

Which is why I don't hesitate to enter the cave entrance.

Inside, I find a boy laying on the ground. It's the lover boy from District 5. His girlfriend must be around here somewhere.

The boy lazily glances up at me before scrambling back, speechless.

"Seffie!" he shouts suddenly as I charge at him.

I didn't give him enough credit. He's certainly fast. He ducks under my blade as I try to stab at him. Luckily, I still outmatch him, and I quickly slash at his stomach. He groans in horror as blood pours everywhere. I'm disappointed - it's more of a shallow slash than anything, but it definitely did some hefty damage to his system.

I want to finish the boy off, but I hear footsteps behind me and I know it would be stupid to leave myself exposed from behind. Peeking out of the cave, I spot the girl, who I guess is Seffie.

I know I can't let the girl approach me, so I catch her off-guard by charging at her. Defenseless, the girl quickly drops to her knees, and I topple over her onto the ground.

The girl scrambles to her feet, bolting to the cave and ducking inside. Cursing my luck, I stand as well. I'm guessing she's going to grab a weapon and try to attack me with it, but I'm prepared.

I'm correct. Seffie returns from the cave, a bow in her hands. I just smile at her, my hands covered in her friend's blood.

"Leave, Ada," Seffie says, her voice wavering. "You've done enough here."

I ignore her words, standing still for a moment. What would the fastest way to kill her be?

"Please, spare us just this once," she begs me. I love to hear her beg. "We're not strong fighters, we aren't a threat to you. Please, just go, or I'll shoot."

I can't help but let out a chuckle. I will admit, I'm considering keeping her alive just because she admitted she's weak compared to me. It does make me feel powerful in a way. "You're going to need more than that," I say, messing with her. I pull out a throwing knife from my pocket from added effect.

"I'll give you all our weapons," she says hurriedly. "We've got bows, knives, a sword..."

I shake my head, and an idea pops into my head. I have to hold in a laugh - this has to be my best idea yet. "No. All your supplies. Everything."

The girl looks thoroughly defeated. "Okay," she sighs.

I follow the girl inside, making sure that she gathers up all the supplies. Her friend just lays on the ground, useless. I wish I had just killed him. All he does is groan and moan the whole time I'm in the cave.

Seffie passes me a large bag and her bow and arrows to me once we return outside of the cave. "This is everything," she says. "Goodbye."

The girl warily jogs away from me, watching me carefully.

"Wait!" I call.

She stops and turns, still watching me carefully.

"Is there any healing cream in here?" I ask her. Her eyes darken as she nods. She must know that her friend needs it.

I open her bag of supplies. This time, I do let out a chuckle as I watch the girl's face. The hope in her eyes as I pull out the bottle. Her naivety is laughable.

I admire her optimism. Her hope that I'll do the nice thing. I'm not a chump, though. I unscrew the cap and squeeze the tube roughly, pouring its contents onto the ground. The girl winces, as if in pain. I drop the tube onto the ground, stepping on it for good measure.

"You know, if you hadn't shown up, he would be dead," I tell the girl with a smile. "Now, he'll die anyway, but it'll be long and painful. Who really wins here?"

I turn on my heels and exit. As I glance back, I see her trying to scoop up some of the healing cream from the dirt. All I can do is laugh. Some people just don't give up.