♠ One

City life was something Amy had never gotten used to. City life in New York for that matter. The hustle and bustle of citizens walking the streets, car engines revving along the neighbourhood  and the subway being jam packed of people commuting to work. It was a lot different to Amy's life back in the UK, a lot different. Going from the quiet countryside of Yorkshire to the obnoxious life of New York. Moving from the UK had been hard, but when your career calls to you, it calls to you. 6 months of living in New York and Amy was missing her home, her real home. Was that down to be homesick in general? Or was it down to the fact her film and media career wasn't taking off like she thought it would. She'd got a job offer at a small production company, but two months in and the job had fallen through. Luckily enough, Amy had made friends pretty quickly and one of those friends - Kelsey - was more than happy to allow Amy to room with her. Soon enough she had moved into Kelsey's apartment and had nabbed herself a job at a local library. Thankfully the job was a decent paying job which meant she could pay Kelsey and contribute to buying food, but that was all it left her. 

'Amy, sweetie. You can go now' A frail voice broke Amy out of her absent minded typing on the computer. She shifted her head upwards, catching the soft smile of the library manager - Mrs Miller. She was a small woman, slightly hunched over with a brittle frame. Wisps of her hair was sticking out of her loose bun and her glasses had slipped just onto the bridge of her nose. 

'Are you sure? I don't mind staying and inputting the rest of these returned books onto the system' Amy assured the old lady, typing another book title. Mrs Miller shook her head and tapped her finger to the watch tightly gripped around her wrist. 

'You've stayed way over your finishing time as it is- now get yourself out of here and back home' She ushered Amy, scooting around the corner and taking Amy's place at the desk. She continued with Amy's job, tapping away painfully slow at the keyboard. Seconds later, Amy had grabbed her jacket and bag from the cramped staff room. 

'See you tomorrow Mrs Miller' Amy called from the library doors as she headed out into the crisp New York air. It was the end of November and the air was COLD. A lot different to the UK's definition of cold. Wrapping her scarf around her neck more, Amy walked in the direction of home. Kelsey's apartment wasn't actually far from the library, so it was only a small walk back. Stuffing her hands deeper into her jacket pockets, she quickened her pace as it was too cold to be dilly dallying about. It wasn't long before she reached the apartment building and was pushing the elevator buttons to fifth floor. The elevator screeched as it took Amy to her floor. She couldn't wait to jump in the shower and start looking for media jobs again, there had been nothing since her first job had fallen through. Reaching the door to the apartment, she headed inside to be greeted by Kelsey and- Amy rolled her eyes at the sight of Kelsey's younger brother. Adam Sackler. She let out a huff as she hung her coat up, ignoring the sight of Adam. 

'Hey, you're back late. Everything okay?' Kelsey asked Amy, as she approached. 

'Yeah, I just needed to finish some things up- you ate?' Amy asked, as she headed over to the fridge, brushing past Adam without a single word. Amy and Adam simply did not get on. She thought Kelsey's older brother was simply an ass. Ego and all that. Adam was fully aware of Amy's feeling towards him and would push her buttons even more for his own amusement. 

'Me and Adam have ate, but help yourself' Kelsey's tone was off, but Amy put it down to the fact she knew of Amy's opinions of her brother. 

'Not gonna say hello to me, doll?' Adam leaned against the kitchen counter, his voice teasing as he watched Amy for her reaction. Amy closed the fridge and shot Adam a look. 

'No, I'm not. Now move out the way' She muttered, attempting to reach behind Adam to grab a plate for her leftover lasagne. He pressed his hands over his chest, pouting at her response.