Potent Potential - Eight - Unfortunate or Uniting?

Eight - Unfortunate or Uniting?

_____________________________________________

I nearly scooted upright but then remembered Dante. I didn't want to give him a reason to return, especially when it was obvious he needed a break. But lying here, in front of all these friendly faces, feeling so invalid, made me want to puke. Especially the dark gaze of Pierce. The only positive I found in this situation was that he didn't look like he wanted to be here either, and, I suppose, the fact that his eye was as swollen as mine.

Ash got up silently and walked over to me, standing upright by my bedside. Oh, so now he was being the protective guardian.

"I thought we were going to wait until she was fully recovered," Ash grumbled.

Laker waved his hand dismissively. "Rowan was completely fine with coming to visit her now, and it'll give her time to think things over." He smiled at me. But after yesterday's visit, I wasn't at all certain that I could trust that smile anymore not when he could become so sinister without warning.

And, of course Rowan was completely fine with visiting me now. He'd want to be around when I was unable to move, to be able to stand above me and smirk. His expression at the moment was already gloating. I ignored him. It seemed I was already written in Laker's bad books, no point in being dropped further to the point of being written on the paper he uses to wipe his arse. And if I told Rowan to eat dick right now, I would probably end up there.

"What's up?" I asked.

Laker and Kale stared at me, slightly confused. I knew they were expecting something more, a bit of wit or sarcasm perhaps. Not today. I wanted them all out of here as soon as possible.

Laker recovered quickly. "You, as the daughter of resistance members, are going to find the members of a new 'rebel' group that are within the school. You will befriend them and gain acceptance into the group. Your acting skills will have to be flawless," he drawled, giving me a firm look. "Once you are one of the rebels, I require you to get the names of the three leaders. You will report any progress to Rowan and he will pass it on to me. If you are stupid enough to get caught, you are on your own."

"Hold on," I interrupted. He seemed to want to get out of here quickly, too, but he was going too fast and I had questions. "How am I supposed to report to Rowan regularly when, usually, somebody interested in resistance stays well out of the way of the people who are all but up the boss's ass?"