Potent Potential - One - Bodyguard or Babysitter?

One - Bodyguard or Babysitter?

______________________________

'Student number 05124 report to the office. 05124.'

I slammed my locker shut and nearly knocked my head against it in frustration. Going to the office meant someone wanted a favour because I had sure as hell done nothing wrong in the past week that would warrant an office visit.

"That bitch!"

"Hey, hey! Not so loud, she'll hear you!"

Hissing whispers always made it to my ears. I looked straight ahead, using my peripherals to seek out the whinger.

"I really don't give a shit. She thinks she's cock of the walk just because she's that 'Crimson Orphan'... I refuse to give her any respect."

"Shay, you don't get it. That girl can get the entire school to turn against you. She'd probably kill you without blinking an eyelid. Surely you've heard the rumours."

Ah, how refreshing. A friend who actually discouraged rather than supported their idiotic comrade. A good thing, too. I didn't have time for threats and scare tactics today. Somebody was calling me to the reception and it had better be for a good reason.

"But she needs to be taken down a peg. She doesn't even wear the uniform like the rest of us! Seriously, I'm ready to just..."

I spun and pinned the girl with a glare. "Not thinking of bothering me, are you? I really don't have the time."

Please let it go, I thought as I continued on my way. I heard a rustle of material and a gasp from a few onlookers and ducked, in time to avoid the fist that was aimed for the back of my head. I spun, stretching one leg out, to bring the girl down to the floor. The idiot had nasty looking rings on her hand which would have torn through my scalp. Goddamn, how could she have been stupid enough to actually attack me? I flicked my wrist and sent one of the small needles that were usually attached to my bracelet into her bare skin. She flinched, yelped and then lay completely still.

I straightened my legs and carried on to the office.

"Hey! What did you do to her? Shit, did you poison her? Don't think you can get away with murder!" Her friend scrambled to the downed girl's side.

"It's coated with a light paralyser. She'll be up in five minutes. I wouldn't move her though and," - I glanced back - "I'd warn her to stay the fuck away from me for a while."

"Someone's going to bring you to your knees one day and we'll all look on gladly. Bitch, we'll celebrate the moment." Her friend was distraught, really, I had to let her words go. If I had more time I might have stuck around to hear more of her amusing premonitions, to see how far she'd dig her own grave. But now I couldn't even set her in her place.

I paced along the hallways until I finally made it to my destination. Inside the reception was Ness, the under-payed admin staff/counsellor, behind her desk and an unknown girl who sat with a dazed look on her face on one of the stools that were opposite the hallway that lead to the staff offices. She was a petite blonde with pale skin however I could see subtle muscle where the uniform clung to her flesh. She looked up as I entered and I instantly noted the genetically modified features that gave her the look of a fragile, porcelain doll. Big, unrealistically blue eyes and a cupid's bow mouth with high arched brows, perfectly symmetrical.

"Jax!" Ness interrupted my thought process. "Took your time, didn't you?" She had a voice that made her instantly unlikable, nasally and a little high-pitched. It was unfortunate since she had a pretty face and a pleasant personality. I had no problems with Ness.