Chapter 6

"What are you?" she asked

She had looked up every day to find if even by chance, a phantom standing on the cliff that faced the ocean. But she did not find him for so long that she thought that it was a dream or a reverie so strongly imagined that she had begun to think of it as real.

As she wandered each day, the immensity of the ocean and space seemed to be infused with meaning and life of their own, now that there was someone to observe them, and the more cognized they were each day, the more meaningful they became. It would be just another ecosystem with food cycles and howling waters if not for its vastness compared, its creatures discerned, its storms feared, its beauty felt, and this thought was recognized by her even though she had no words for its expression. Just as she felt this each day imperceptibly without intending, she found him one day when not trying.

She was sitting on the shore and the sun had just set so she lied down to be able to look more easily at the sky as the stars begun to be visible. She stretched her neck back and pushed her head in the sand to look at the sky beyond her direct sphere of vision; it was then when she saw the upturned figure of the man sitting at the edge of the cliff. She sprung up and sat with her head turned back to look at him. He was looking down but not at her. She assumed he was looking at the water. She flew sideways trying not to directly cross the field of his vision even though she knew he knew of her presence there.

The space and the time of the day made it look like yet another dream. She sat beside him but not near enough and in as much an unobtrusive way as possible. She looked at him through her peripheral vision and it was the first time that she had seen him from so near. After a long time, she asked "What are you?", to which, he did not respond. She doubted if he could speak or understand her at all. She had spoken something for the first time so the loudness and the sound of her voice had shocked her even though she had spoken softly in a gentle, humming voice.

The next time, she softened her tone a little more and whispered, "I will go down into the water and come up again. Don't leave", even though she thought he wasn't listening. She flew down and then mid-air, dived into the water, and came out after a while. She sat beside him again, extended her hand, and opened her closed fist to reveal a crimson pearl. Since he did not look at it, she extended her hand a little more towards his face. He did not look at it completely but as it was revealed, he placed his hand on one of his eyes for a while as it twitched a little. 

After waiting for a while, she asked, "If...you don't want it back, can I keep it?" the pearl radiated unusually in the dark.

"It is of no use to me," He turned his face a little in her direction and answered, "Do what you want." She was visibly surprised hearing his voice because she thought for some reason that he couldn't speak and also because the quality of his voice was very different from hers, it was heavier and sonorous and unlike her relatively sharper and shriller feminine voice, his felt more soothing to her.

As she sat down looking at it on her palm, she realized when the shining dark aura had faded and he was gone. Regardless, her face broke into a hint of a smile as she sat there watching the night sky.