Our Friends are Here

"Why are you so quiet?" Derek asks Meredith. They're sitting on the lanai having breakfast - as they have every morning.

"I'm thinking that tomorrow afternoon we'll be married," she answers.

"And that has you sounding melancholy?"

"I'm thrilled that we're getting married tomorrow, Derek. I just wish..." she trails off and sighs. Then she says, "Never mind, it's silly."

"I doubt it," he states. "What's wrong?"

She takes a drink of coffee, fiddles with her spoon and then starts breaking the barely-eaten croissant on her plate into small pieces.

"Mer?"

"I know getting married here was my idea," she finally says. "And I still want to do it this way. I'm touched and happy that Mark, Bailey, Kathleen and her family are coming but," she trails off again when her voice hitches and tears gather in her eyes.

Derek reaches out and pulls her into his arms. "You wish Lexie, Molly and her family were coming, too."

"Yes. I even wish Cristina was coming." Meredith whispers into his shoulder. "I'm a selfish ass."

"No you aren't," he says and rubs her back.

"I am," she insists. "I'm lucky as hell to be marrying you. And here, on this gorgeous paradise and I'm whining and feeling sorry for myself."

"Meredith," Derek says softly and is interrupted by a loud knock at the door.

"I'll go," she says and gets up from his lap to go inside. She looks through the peephole in the door and literally squeals in delight and flings the door open.

"Surprise!" chorus Lexie and Molly as they throw their arms around their sister.

Cristina appears from the side and says, "You have a hell of a nerve getting married thousands of miles from home."

"You made it," Meredith laughs and throws her arms around her friend.

"Okay," Cristina pats Meredith's back awkwardly. "Let go now."

Meredith pulls her sisters and friend into the room and shuts the door. "I can't believe you're all here. I was just whining to Derek and wishing you all could come out."

"Yeah well," Cristina shrugs it off and turns toward the lanai. "Hi Derek."

"Hi," a grinning Derek says from the lanai door.

"Derek, did you know they were coming?"

"I knew about Lexie," he answers as she goes over to hug him. "Molly and Cristina are a surprise to me, too."

"What are you wearing for your wedding?" Lexie asks.

"Clothes," Meredith replies and Cristina laughs.

"You need a dress," Molly insists.

"No, I don't. We're getting married on the beach. I don't need or want a fancy dress."

"We're going shopping for a dress," Molly and Lexie say together.

"I hate shopping."

"I'm going down to the beach," Cristina says.

"Hey," Meredith protests.

"I hate shopping too," Cristina says. "And you're the one who wants to get married on this island. I didn't fly all this way to go to a mall. I'm going to the beach and I'll meet up with all of you later for dinner."

"Derek help," Meredith loudly whispers to him.

"Go with your sisters," Derek laughs. "You wanted them and now they're here."

"You can go home if you're going to torture me with shopping," Meredith sulks.

In the end, Meredith is dragged off to shop for a dress. Cristina goes to the beach. Derek puts in book on CD to listen to while he waits for his family and friends to arrive.
*

Derek is in the hotel bar having drinks with Mark when Meredith calls him.

"Hi Mer," he answers with a smile. "How was shopping?"

"Hi. It was fine, I guess. Where are you?"

He laughs and tells her he's with Mark.

"Okay," she says. "Can you come to our room for a bit before dinner?"

"Why? Are you okay?" Derek asks.

"I'm fine," Meredith mumbles. "Except for the fact that my sisters claim I can't come back to our room after dinner tonight."

"What? That's stupid. Why?"

"I don't know," she sighs. "Some damn thing about the bride and groom not being together the night before the wedding."

"That sounds dumb."

"I know, but they're insisting and I don't know how to get out of it. And they did fly all this way. So, please?"

Derek laughs and agrees. He tells Mark what's going on. "You're whipped," Mark says.

"I'm not whipped, idiot. It's called love and respect."

"Fine," Mark sighs. "I want to pick-up on hula dancers, anyway."