I hid my yawn behind my open hand as I pushed open the car door. I was feeling so tired. We thanked the uber driver who muttered something about our dirty clothes, before driving away.

Luke saw how tired I looked and said encouragingly, "You're almost there."

He carried my bags and took me to my door first. I saw the garden gnome sitting outside the front door and gave it a little stroke. I missed gnomey.

"Keys?" Luke asked, before he said in realization, "I really hope that..."

He pushed the door and it swung open.

"OK," he said, "Still not locking the door."

I peered into my home, feeling a coldness from the lack of heating. All the lights were off, and it didn't look like anyone was home. It didn't look like anyone had been home for a few days.

"Are you sure you don't want to come to my place instead?" he offered.

"No, I'm fine here," I said, convincingly.

I hope it was convincing. Just in case, I forced a smile for good measure. That's got to be convincing, right?

"Whatever you want Minnie," he said, unconvinced, "I'll be across the street if you need me."

I watched him go, picking his bags and walking across the street. If I know my boyfriend, I know he's going straight to the shower.

**

~9.05 PM~

I woke up, thinking it was the middle of the night. I didn't realize I'd fallen asleep.

I looked at the screen: 9.05 PM

That's going to mess up my sleep schedule.

I checked my phone and saw a missed call from Luke and a couple texts. I lay back in bed and lazily perused the messages:

Hey, I heard you're back. Free to meet up? – Jake

Have you eloped??? We need to debrief Dubai, Austin and Luke – Cearra

Surprisingly, I also saw Instagram notifications. I didn't expect that. I tapped the icon, saw that Oma had posted pictures of us and then noticed a friend request from...

"Bianca?!" I said out loud.

I heard a loud sound downstairs. My sister and mom weren't home so I wondered who that could be. A raccoon?

"Luke," I called out.

Luke was worried about me. I saw his expression when he left my house and I'd missed his call this afternoon. I called his number from my bed.

"Hey," he answered in his deep voice.

"I'm upstairs," I said, feeling nervous about my next words, "In bed."

It was an invitation. No one else was home tonight so we could spend the night together.

"Same," Luke answered, relaxed.

I froze.

A feeling of dread dropped into my stomach. I listened to the sounds downstairs. Dreaded and daunting.  My heart thudded as I heard footsteps coming up the stairs. Slow and steady.

I sat upright..

"If you're in your bed," I whispered, staring at my closed bedroom door, "Then who's in my house?"

We made it!  We've gotten to a part in the story where things are about to take a different turn :)

So I'll be back with the next chapter on February 4th.  Quickest way to reach me in the meantime is the comment section of my Instagram (@NatalieInACorner)

☆ Please vote ☆ 

Looking for something to read?  📖 ...

Check out my FINISHED story "Don't Give Up On Me" (poster above)!  Some of you may know it as HBHH, but I've rewritten the first few chapters and given it a rebrand.  It's on my Wattpad profile!

See ya! <3

P

P.S. Please remember to vote on this chapter and previous ones!!  It only take a few seconds and means a lot