Chapter 17

Kabir's POV

"Kabir?"

I glanced over my shoulder, not believing the voice. Angel.

What was she doing here?

She settled on the chair in front of me, peering at me. Dark jeans teamed with a black hoodie, hair tied in a loose bun, she looked badass but with innocent doe black eyes.

"Stop staring," I muttered, taking a sip of my drink.

"You look exhausted."

"Photoshoot." I quickly reasoned, looking past her shoulder.

"I said exhausted, not tried." she deadpanned.

I hummed in response. We sat there in silence for a while, a calm yet stormy silence.

She shifted uncomfortably in her seat, her beer still untouched. She opened her mouth only to close it again.

"You know, you can speak anything. No need to hesitate." I assured. She nodded before taking a deep breath.

"You are dating Anaya Saxena?" The distaste was clear in her voice, her eyebrows furrowed together.

I shook my head in no. "Actually I'm endorsing their company, Red Cherry."

I saw her stifling a giggle hearing the company name, I continued, "I guess, Paparazzi saw us together and made some shitty news about it."

"Good. Anyways she wasn't your type." Her eyes widen, "I mean... I was saying Paparazzi has literally no job-"

A laugh escaped my mouth making her head snapped at me, narrowing her eyes at me. "I get it."

After two minutes or so, she spoke.

"You never answered my question." her tone was softer than usual, it felt like she was choosing her words carefully taking in my reactions.

"About?" I stared into her eyes, the hesitation was clear with a little bit of determination in it.

"You don't believe in love?" She questioned, but it sounded like she stated it.

I tensed, I knew she would ask this question but I wasn't ready to answer it. The answer was a big fat NO until I met her, my Angel. She made me believe in Love again. The same thing which I buried deep in my heart, resurfacing it with just one word - FAKE.

Sitara, My Angel was making me feel something I shouldn't, something I started to despise in beginning.

"I know, I'm stepping out of the line asking you something which makes you tense and uncomfortable. But I want to know. I want to know what made you think like that. I want to know what is your point of view on something so beautiful as love." Her black eyes held sincerity and affection.

I wanted to tell her everything, my previous relationship, the breakup, the sadness, everything. But I just didn't know how to start, how to talk without having flashbacks, without wrenching my heart.

She took my hand in her. Caressing her thumb over my knuckles. The tenderness in her touch set my heart on a marathon.

I signed, Sitara Roy, won't back down after all.

"I do believe in love," I spoke in a low voice.

"I just- don't want to believe. Promising someone to be with them for eternity with loyalty and the same amount of love seems like a fairy tale. Loving isn't supposed to hurt, you know. But hurts as fuck, when you don't want to give up on someone but you have to." The words left my mouth like a flow of a river, effortlessly and straight.

"I don't get the point, relationships are like glass. One crack shatters everything." I sucked a deep breath, daring to look at her.

Indeed Angel was like me. Who doesn't speak much, but her eyes gave in everything. This time, her eyes held curiosity and empathy. Her thumb still caressing my knuckles, but her grip on my hand was firm.

I could see her lips moving, but my mind was busy working like a broken tape recorder.

I love you. I will never leave you, Kabir.

Kabir! We are rarely spending time together.

Let's call it a failed attempt at saving our relationship and before we end up getting hurt more than we already, let's part our ways, okay Kabir?

"You okay Kabir?" Angel's concerned voice brought me back to the present.

"I- sorry I zoned out" I looked away, blinking away the tears that were threatening to fall.

"Want to talk about it?"

"Flashbacks," I said, preparing myself to open up.

"We dated in the early twenties. We were all a happy-lovely couple but as my career took a turn into modeling, things changed. Spending time together was minimized. Arguments made their way into our relationship and it started to feel like I was losing her, her love. She gave up too. I didn't want to though. But we broke up after I was sure she was falling out of love. She left, yet I waited for her to come back, some shitty miracle to happen but nope. I was devasted after that, but later I was just fine."

I expressed, just giving her a summary, keeping the small details buried in my heart.

The wetness on my cheeks made me informed, a lone tear escaped my left eye. I grabbed the tissue paper wiping it off.

Of course, men do fucking cry. They are a fucking functioning humans.

"Breaking up was the right option. But that doesn't mean you start hating love, Kabir," she argued, her voice low and soft.

"Love is painful, pointless, and Overrated, Angel."

"That's what Damon said when he loved Katherine. But his view changed when he met Elena, right?"

"That's the fairytale with happy endings."

"There are no happy endings, Kabir. Endings are the saddest part, it's just a happy middle and a happy start."

"Loving can hurt," I admitted, removing her hands from mine.

If I even dare to stay a little longer, this Angel in front of me will convince me that love is real.

"Sometimes. Loving can heal, loving can mend your soul too," she said before interlocking our fingers together, tugging my hand towards her clasping it with hers.

If only she knew, meeting her made me rethink everything about love.