Chapter 19 : Expect The Unexpected

Start from the beginning

Then he had turned to face my direction and address me.
" Anna, you've heard your principal please act in accordance of what is required of you ".

I gave him a timid nod and walked off in the direction of the gym to get my belongings and changed into my school's uniform. That consisted of dark blue pleated uniform with a zip on the left side and a sky blue blouse being worn underneath. A belt that matched my uniform colour was worn around my waist. I quickly look for the miniature version of the school's crest was in the form of a little pin. I had clipped it on to the left side of my chest.

The pace that I was walking at to get to the principal's office was unnaturally slow. I was trying to buy myself some time here. I guess it still didn't matter how long I had tried to drag this out for.
I still came across the big mahogany door with an opaque glass situated in the middle. The name of the man that I didn't want to see was printed on it.

I had raised my hand with every intention to knock on the door but withdrew it last minute. I was still contemplating every possible scenario of what I did. Why did the principal possibly require my presence so early in the morning?. Soon as I got over the initial nervousness and raise my hand for the second time. Then with a newfound determination I knocked on that door.

" Come in ".
I heard the voice of my principal Mr.Alezindo rang out with firm authority.

Mr.Alezindo is a forty-five year old and five feet inches tall yet stern man. In recent years he was sporting a newly emerged pot belly and a series of grey patches throughout his hair.

I had practically walked into his office with jelly knees. I really had no idea on how long I would be able to stand before my knees buckled.

" Good morning Ms.Mariah. How are you?. I see you have took your sweet time to arrive. Please, do take a seat and relax. Trust me you'll need it ".
He said to me in such a gentle tone. It was a stark contrast from his vindictive personality and the stern way he carried himself.

Despite the very strange atmosphere that seemed to wrap up both of us in a tension-filled bubble of anxiousness. I had still decide to be polite and grace him with a response.

" I'm...good. Yeah definitely good. I feel- yeah ".
I had started to ramble out my warbled response in nervousness. He gave me a sad smile, before he interrupted me mid sentence.

" Ms.Mariah you have my permission to leave for the rest of the day- ".
He started to say in a sympathetic tone but I had interrupted him before he could complete his sentence.

" Sorry to interrupt sir. It's not that I am not contented to be very far away from the premises of this school. Why all this now? ".
I asked him in a very suspicious tone, as I stared him dead in the eyes.
Something just wasn't adding up in this charade he was presenting. As soon as I saw the uncomfortable shifting of his body and then his blue eyes looked at me with an emotion that I was way too familiar with... pity.

" There is no easy way to say this Anna. Your mother Andrea Jones is currently in the intensive care unit of the Summerville Medicare Hospital. Her boss notified the school that she had collapsed again at work. So I am regrettably sorry to relay such an information like this to you. I'm giving you full permission to leave in case you want to go".
He said to me in a remorseful tone.

I wasn't even paying him the slightest of attention. My body completely frozen in the seat meanwhile my mind seems to be in a state of paralysis. I knew exactly what I wanted to do and say yet somehow my tongue felt heavy.

" So my mother is in a hospital and you didn't think to start off with that when I had entered your office?. I need to go see her now! ".
I said to him in an eager tone.

Despite the fact that I needed to get a move on it and visit my mom. My arse was still firmly planted in the seat. The one time I need my feet to cooperate. They had singlehandedly decided to take a bloody vacation.

" I can bring you to the hospital- ".
He started to offer but I had impatiently interrupted him once more

" Then get a move on it sir ".
I said to him in a tone more eager than the last.

That was exactly how I ended up at the hospital in the front seat of my principal's car. As he drove me to the hospital so I could see my beloved mother be wired and hooked up to a life saving machine. I guess that was the calm.
However the storm did follow shortly after and that's when I had heard my mom was terminally ill. She was diagnosed with the most fatal form of malignant brain cancer.

I believed the doctor termed it Glioblastoma Multiforme and he had stated that she had a two percent survival rate. I need not to mention the allotted time of three months that was placed on her life. Thus serving as limitation of how much time she had left amongst the land of the living.

I had apparently heard more than enough and I was sick to my stomach. There was so much shock the body can take for a day and no more and that was when my knees buckled and I had collapsed.

This was definitely not what I expected.