nine.

authors note: this is going to be a bit of a filler chapter for yall so im sorry ahead of time. I hope you still enjoy it :)

"Forbidden Fortunes"

KINLEY ADAMS

Many weeks passed and they were all terrible. I didn't have anyone to talk to really — I was by myself. After Ron and I broke up I lost connection with him and Hermione. The only time I really saw them was whenever we had to go to the Great Hall or if I passed by them in the corridors. Even during class we would be found on opposite sides of the room.

Harry, on the other hand, would still talk to me and make sure I was okay but even then he wasn't around as often as usual. He tends to stay with Ron and Hermione.

When it came to sleeping arrangements, Lavender and Hermione moved out within the same week of each other. Lavender moved in with a few witches from Gryffindor who I didn't know the names of. I expected this from her considering she wasn't a fan of Hermione or me from the start. Hermione moved in with Parvati Patil and Katie Bell. I don't know how that was arranged but all I remembered was coming back from Defense Against the Dark Arts one day and I saw that all of her belongings were moved out of the room.

I had the dorm to myself. It was lonely.

Since I had so much time to myself, my thoughts had hours to jumble all over the place. I found myself thinking more and more about Draco — Malfoy — and what happened that night in the astronomy tower. It was pure,  in-the-moment, lust. A sudden craving to be touched and held and understood even if it was in the slightest way. A way that I could barely wrap my head around and understand for myself... but I desired it. It was a continuous desire that racked my brain and I couldn't push it away even if I wanted to.

There were even times when I wished I could go back to that night just to feel it again — That sudden adrenaline rush and those — those lips. His lips. The same lips that would degrade me and hex me and be completely vile towards me.

I haven't been going to the Great Hall to eat either. Since I've been too much of a bloody coward, I had house elves bring me the leftovers from the kitchens and I ate it in my dorm. But today was going to change. I couldn't bare another day sulking in this boring old room so, for the first time in a while, I decided to eat at the Great Hall.

***

It was overwhelming. It felt like the same feeling you have when you move to a new school with no one to talk to but yourself. I saw Harry, Ron, and Hermione seated in our usual spots but Hermione took the empty seat (which used to be mine) next to Ron.

I expected Ron to mourn over me more than he did considering we broke up 3 weeks ago. He seemed... unfazed and — and over it. Over me. Sure he could still be upset but Hermione seemed to have fixed that for him.

It hurts. It hurts that my (ex) best friend likes my (ex) boyfriend and that he likes her back.

How thick could I be for not realizing sooner? How thick could I be for not sticking with my gut feeling?

Honestly, I feel sorry for myself. Maybe things were rushed or— or forced. I don't know, but I guess the stars weren't in my favor. I wanted to give him a chance. I wanted to so bad. He likes Hermione, and as hard as it's going to be, I have to accept that. Even if I didn't want to.

I sat down towards the end of the table with Ginny, Neville, and Luna.

"Hi guys, mind if I sit here?"

"Well hello, Kinley," Luna said dreamily. "We don't mind at all," she smiled gently.

I dropped my books onto the table, grabbed a few chicken nuggets from the center piece and put them on my plate.