~Grant Hill• Better Than Me

This some sad shit so enjoy!😌

Time is supposed to heal all wounds, at least it should. Months went by before you and Grant had talked to one another again. He was a good friend to you before you both tested the waters of a relationship and the both of you agreed that, that was not worth losing.

There was still some noticeable distance but you both pushed it aside, and for a while that worked. Your feelings were not fading for him, but they grew weaker by the day. So much to the point that you started dating a new man.

Grant knew it was serious when you brought him to a friend game night. You found someone else to make you happy and there wasn't anything he could about it.  He saw you smiling a lot more and didn't want to ruin that. He needed you but pushed his feelings to side, you shouldn't have to suffer because of him.

After a while he moved on too. He got back into the dating scene and wasn't so sure how to feel. Maybe it was the fact that he was searching for you in other women, but they just weren't doing it. Then things seemed a little dark for him, the day you sent him a wedding invitation.

With a sea of anguish he accepted the invitation to what should have been his wedding day. His nerves seemed to get the best of him as the day got closer. He played it off but everyone knew of his true feelings.

The night before your wedding he sat on his couch staring at the wedding gift he brought thinking about the things he could have done differently. Without giving, it a second thought, Grant grabbed the gift and his keys making his way to the front door.

His mind was racing as he drove to the address that he had been memorizing for weeks on end. Sitting in his car he sat there for a minute before stepping out into the summer night. Grabbing the gift he made his way towards the front door and knocked. He stood there for a minute before your sister opened the door.

"Grant, what are you doing here?" She asked keeping the door closed.

"I'm here to talk to Y/N, I promise I won't try anything alright? She chose who she wants and I respect that. I-I just really need some closure" he responded in a low tone.

"You're lucky I've always liked you G, let me see if she wants to come out and talk" your younger sister then walked up to him and gave him a hug.

"It's good to see you again, G"

"You too sis" he stated back with a smile as she walked back into the house.

It seemed like hours had passed before you walked outside and stood on the porch. The two of you stared at one another.

"Hey, what are you doing here?"

"I- I don't know. I just hopped in my car and started driving. I didn't know anyone else in the neighborhood so here I am" he shrugged with a nervous smile. You  closed the door and stepped onto the porch pulling your robe tighter.

"I do not believe this" you said in disbelief walking past him.

"Look I know its late, but what I have to say cannot wait until tomorrow"

"Grant , do not do this to me"

"I have to. Tomorrow you're gonna be Mrs. Brian Jackson, I just wanna spend a few minutes alone wit' Y/F/N Y/L/N".

All you could do was stare at him before giving in "Alright"

The two of you walked towards the other side of the large, spacious yard past the seats and other things that were set up for tomorrow's festivities.

"Uhm when we were together I made a lot of mistakes, but I never meant to hurt you" he started off as the two of you kept walking.

"Seems like despite our good intentions, G. we keep" a short pause allowed you to put together the right words.

"Hurting each other" you finished as you sat on the pedestal where you would be sharing your vows in a few hours.

"I didn't realize I put so much pressure on you"

"Well as much as I hate to admit it. It was what I needed". He spoke.

Letting out a small laugh "Agreed" you retorted.

"You know, you set a standard" he sat down next to you "and I couldn't hang. Or I wasn't quite ready. I was so used to doing what I wanted and just making sure that everything was taken care of financially at home".

"Boy don't I know it"you spoke referencing to one of his exes that he told you about.

"But I ended up with you, the woman I thought was so stuck up. When I realized that it was just that you knew what you wanted and deserved. Things fell into place. You became my best friend, my lady, my love. Even though you challenged me every step of the way"

"Well, you know me give it your all or nothing" you joked elbowing him making him laugh.

"You better not change that" he spoke wrapping an arm around your shoulder

" Grant, I thought I was always going to be dependent on a man to make me happy. But you taught me how to depend on myself".

"You taught me how to love, ladybug" he said looking you in the eye.

'"And you taught me how to love" you said back

"So if we meant all that to each other, why didn't this relationship work?" he asked leaving you speechless.

He let out a nervous laugh before standing up "Yeah, I don't know either".

He stood there for a moment before sighing. "Alright" he knelt in front of you and handed you a wood carved elephant.

"It represents strength, good luck, power, and wisdom. I wish you and Brian all of those things on your life journey and partnership".

You accepted the gift and ran a finger over the smooth surface. Looking up you saw him holding a flower from the decorations in front of you.

"I always knew you'd be a beautiful bride, ladybug" All you could do was look as he handed you the flower and stood up straight.

"I hope he treats you better than me. You deserve a knight in shining armor. An honorable man and I hope he takes the time to realize what he got. All the shit I wasn't and should've been for you" he spoke before walking off feeling like a weight was lifted off of his shoulders.