nine

Weeks had passed since the revelation of my true identity and the arduous process of earning the club's trust. The road had been bumpy, filled with skepticism and constant scrutiny, but gradually, I had started to earn my place within the Sons of Anarchy. And through it all, Happy had been by my side, his rugged demeanor serving as a steady anchor amidst the chaos.

The day of my father's funeral had arrived, a somber occasion where the weight of my past and the complexities of my present collided. Dressed in black, I stood alongside Happy as we paid our respects to the man who had shaped my life, for better or worse.

As we walked away from the gravesite, the sun casting long shadows across the cemetery, Happy reached for my hand, his touch offering solace in the midst of grief. His voice, gravelly yet gentle, broke the silence. "Marisol, we've been through a lot together, and I've come to care about you deeply. I want you by my side, not just as a lover, but as my old lady."

I turned to face him, my heart skipping a beat. His proposal was unexpected, yet it felt right, a natural progression in our evolving connection. "Happy, I... I would be honored to be your old lady," I replied, my voice filled with a mixture of vulnerability and determination.

A soft smile played on his lips as he squeezed my hand, his gaze unwavering. "Good. But you need to know that being my old lady means I won't be with any other women. It's a commitment, a bond between us."

I met his gaze, understanding the gravity of his words. "I wouldn't have it any other way. I want to be the one who stands by your side, the one you come home to."

He nodded, his expression a mix of relief and affection. "Then it's settled. You're mine, Marisol Galindo, and I'm yours."

The air heavy with love and new beginnings, an unexpected turn of events shattered the atmosphere. Gunfire erupted, ripping through the silence and engulfing the cemetery in chaos. Panic and screams filled the air as mourners scattered, seeking cover from the hail of bullets.

In the midst of the chaos, Happy instinctively shielded me, his body acting as a shield against the violent onslaught. The sound of bullets whizzing past our heads echoed in my ears, and my heart pounded in my chest. Fear and adrenaline surged through my veins as I clung tightly to Happy, my fingers digging into his leather cut.

But in an instant of chaos and confusion, pain seared through my side. I gasped, feeling a sharp sting, and my legs gave way beneath me. Happy's strong arms caught me, his expression a mix of concern and fury. Blood stained my clothes, the metallic scent mingling with the scent of gunpowder in the air.

"Marisol, stay with me!" he pleaded, his voice filled with urgency and worry.

The world around me blurred as my vision faltered, but I fought to stay conscious. Through the haze, I could see the Sons of Anarchy rallying around us, guns drawn, their fierce determination etched onto their faces. They returned fire, the sharp crack of gunfire reverberating through the air.

Through gritted teeth, I managed to whisper, "Happy, go... keep them safe."

He hesitated, torn between protecting me and fulfilling his duty to the club. But a determined glint sparkled in his eyes as he pressed a kiss to my forehead. "I'll be back for you. Hold on, Marisol."

With that, he reluctantly released his grip, disappearing into the chaos, his brothers by his side. The sound of gunfire and the battle cries of the Sons of Anarchy faded into the distance as I clung to consciousness, the pain throbbing with every heartbeat.

Minutes felt like an eternity as the sounds of the shootout subsided, replaced by the distant wail of sirens drawing closer. The world around me dimmed, and I knew help was on its way, but the pain was unbearable, my strength waning.

As darkness threatened to consume me, a flicker of hope emerged. The familiar roar of motorcycles grew louder, cutting through the chaos like a beacon of salvation. The Sons had returned, their presence offering a glimmer of reassurance in the face of uncertainty.

As they approached, Jax's voice cut through the haze. "Marisol, hold on. We've got you."

Their hands gently lifted me onto a stretcher, their faces etched with concern and determination. Clay, Tig, and Opie formed a protective shield around me as the paramedics rushed to stabilize my condition. Sirens blared as the ambulance doors closed, and the world faded away, my consciousness slipping into darkness.

In that fleeting moment of chaos and violence, my life had taken an unexpected turn. But through it all, the bond with Happy and the unwavering loyalty of the Sons of Anarchy had emerged stronger than ever. Now, as I lay wounded and uncertain of what lay ahead, I knew one thing for certain— I was not alone.

•••

As I lay in the hospital bed, the hazy fog of anesthesia slowly dissipating, I drifted in and out of consciousness. My body ached, the pain dulled by medication, but my mind remained restless, teetering between the realm of dreams and reality.

Unbeknownst to me, in the waiting room outside my hospital room, Happy, Gemma, and the rest of the Sons of Anarchy anxiously awaited news of my condition. The atmosphere was heavy with worry, the tension palpable. Happy's rugged exterior belied his concern, his eyes darting to the entrance every few minutes, desperate for any shred of information.

Finally, the doctor emerged, his white coat a stark contrast against the sterile backdrop of the hospital. Happy wasted no time, his voice laced with a mixture of anticipation and trepidation as he inquired about my well-being.

"How is she?" he asked, his voice a low rumble, betraying his tightly coiled emotions.

The doctor offered a reassuring smile, his voice gentle yet measured. "She came out of surgery well. Both she and the baby are fine."

The words hung in the air, the weight of their implications slowly sinking in. No one had known, not even me, that I carried a precious life within me. The shock reverberated through the room, expressions of disbelief etched onto their faces. Gemma's eyes widened, her hand instinctively reaching for her chest. The Sons exchanged glances, their eyes mirroring a mixture of surprise and concern.

The doctor continued, explaining how the discovery had unfolded during the preparations for surgery. My world seemed to shift on its axis as the realization settled within me. I was carrying Happy's child, a symbol of the bond we shared, a fragile life that demanded protection and love.

After answering their questions, the doctor permitted Happy to enter my room, his presence a comforting presence amidst the sterile hospital environment. As I slept, his rugged exterior softened, his voice barely above a whisper.

"You and the baby are safe now," he murmured, his fingers grazing my cheek with tenderness. "I promise, Marisol, I'll protect you both with everything I have. No harm will come to you again."

The weight of his words settled deep within my heart, intertwining with the love and longing I felt for this man. In that vulnerable moment, as I slumbered in the hospital bed, I knew that our journey had taken an unexpected turn, but it was one I would embrace with all my being. Together, we would face the challenges that lay ahead, united by a newfound sense of purpose and the unbreakable bond of family.

As Happy stood by my side, his protective gaze never wavering, I drifted back into the realm of dreams, the promise of a future filled with love and the sound of a beating heart lulling me into a peaceful slumber.