Difference Between Want and Need

(one week later)

"Ryan, I'm fine," Brendon groaned.

"You're barely over your cold. You are not fine. Stop trying to overwork yourself." Brendon frowned and crossed his arms.

"I knew you'd treat me differently once you knew," he grumbled to himself. Ryan rolled his eyes and carried the tray of food over to Brendon's bed.

"Shut up. I'm a doctor. I would've done the same thing either way." Brendon continued to pout as he stared down at the same bowl of soup he'd been getting every day. "Now, quit pouting."

"Hmph." Brendon turned the other way as a sign of protest to his meal.

"I don't care how long you act that way. No chicken nuggets."

"But why? I'm feeling so much better." Ryan smiled and shook his head. He sat on the bed and kissed the side of Brendon's head. He circled his arm around the other's waist, giving the man a gentle squeeze. He forced himself to keep from wincing after feeling how much weight Brendon was losing. He shut his eyes and pressed his forehead in Brendon's shoulder.

Thoughts about Brendon's condition filled his head. He was respecting Brendon's wishes, but he wanted to help in the smallest ways he could and if that meant making sure the stubborn bastard would eat something good for him, then that's what he would do it.

"Please love." 'for me,' he wanted to add but didn't want to push it. Brendon watched Ryan, feeling guilty for being difficult. He shrugged his shoulder so Ryan would look up at him. He stole a quick kiss and let the corner of his lip pull up in a small smile.

"Thank you babe." Without anymore fuss, Brendon ate his soup, going faster than Ryan would've wanted. As part of their nightly routine, when Brendon's food settled, Ryan helped him wash up.

"You know, I can do this myself." Ryan smiled at the boy sitting between legs.

"And risk you hurting yourself? I don't think so." Ryan wrapped his arms around Brendon's body, holding him securely against his chest. "Plus, it's more time I get to hold you." Brendon let out a soft giggle when Ryan planted a gentle kiss on his neck. "I love you," he whispered into the other's skin.

"I love you too." Brendon couldn't stop his smile when he felt Ryan grinning against him. Ryan pulled away, leaving Brendon's back cold and exposed.

"Okay, head back," Ryan said while he grabbed a contain and dunked it under the water filling the tub. Brendon did as he was told and shut his eyes before Ryan dumped the water from the container onto his hair. When his hair was wet enough, Ryan pour shampoo into his hand and started massaging it into Brendon's head. Ryan's heart warmed at the sound of Brendon unintentionally humming at the feeling.

After rinsing the shampoo from his hair and washing the rest of his body, Brendon sat back on Ryan and let himself be held. Brendon had his arm over Ryan's, fingers sliding over Ryan's skin. The room was silent apart from the water any time one of them moved a bit. Occasionally Ryan would lean to Brendon's ear, whispering sweet nothings and getting a small giggle in response.

"We should do something," Brendon suggested out of the blue.

"What did you have in mind?"

"I don't know. Something fun and exciting." There was a small pause before Brendon turned around unexpectedly with a wide smile on. "Like an amusement park!" His spirits immediately sank when he saw Ryan frown at the suggestion.

"I don't think that's a good idea."

"Why not?" Ryan looked away for a moment. Did he really want him to say it? He turned back and opened his mouth, hoping a good explanation would come out.