Chapter 18 - Only 27?

Being Lady-in-waiting was taxing. So very taxing it ended with you passing out on the clouds of linen.

That was the first week, from there it was actually smooth sailing. Frigga confessed that the Allfather had tasked you with the utmost difficult and time consuming jobs. He wanted to test your strength, determination, sheer will-power to push on.

Admittedly at times you fell into doubt which Loki took notice of. Words from the heart were written on parchment along with a bouquet of roses and cookies apparently he and Bjorn had made.

It made your day and pushed you further to complete the task. And by nightfall, Loki had knocked quietly on your door to check in with you. Your first action was to hug him tight, longingly in thanks for such a thoughtful gift.

Gifts. You declined most, from jewels to clothing, it was all sent back with a note which simply said 'no'.

"Why do you decline my gifts, darling?" Loki held in his hand the most recent one; a ruby necklace.

"Because they are absurd, Loki," you finish combing through your hair and turn to him. "In the first three months you sent a total of 27 gifts,"

"Just 27? I swear there was more..." Loki mumbled, the velvet box now laying on your vanity. "What is so absurd?"

"First of all, the price. Yes, I was able to track down the retailer for each gift," you hand him a note which had each gift totaling to over a few thousand gold coins.

"Just this? I'm sorry, I should have spent more," he sighed and stuffed the paper away in his pocket.

"No- No, Loki, I don't think you understand," leading him to your made up bed, he settled quietly in a small tussle of duvet. "I don't need all this, I don't need you to buy my life's worth of savings in jewels, I don't need a new dress every week crafted from the finest Vanaheim silk, I don't need them,"

"But why not? I need to show my admiration for you in some way!"

"Your admiration for me is heard well and clear with every glance, Loki, I love you," he stood shock with a hung open mouth.

"Love me? You really love me?" his startled tone made you laugh.

"Yes, of course, you silly god," running a thumb over his cheeks you placed a sweet kiss against his lips. "And I hope those feelings are reciprocated?"

"Times it by two, my love,"

"And when were you to tell me of the news?" Frigga's figure emerged from the doorway.

"Frigga,"

"Mother," Loki and you parted ways for space, greeting the queen. "This wasn't- I- we weren't-"

"I had my suspicions, but I'm glad I've seen it myself,"

"Are you not enraged? I expected rage... why isn't she enraged?" You whisper to Loki who shrugs.

"I am not my husband, your relationship brings me much joy," she settles the two of you back onto the bed. "Join us for dinner tonight, Y/n, announce your courting,"

"Pardon? You want me to announce our relationship?? To the Allfather??"

"I guess you're right... Loki, you do it,"

"Mother!"

"What??"

"How am I to casually announce my courting with Y/n? 'Oh, Great Allfather, pardon me, I am now courting Y/n L/n, and I love her despite knowing full well you despise her', no offence, my love,"

"None taken, you make an excellent point," You pat Loki's hand in agreement and turn to Frigga. "Unless it is brought up, we are not to mutter a word, Frigga, please,"

"And that means you may not bring it up,"

"Understood, my lovelies, but do attend, I have much to discuss, Y/n,"

"As you wish, Frigga,"

~~~

"The system would work such as this: each book would have a certain symbol, or code to distinguish it from the rest in the system, the same for the borrower," you mumble from beside Loki. "And if a person were to want to borrow a book on Alfheim, they would need the Librarian to scan the book symbol then the card to log-in that that person has taken that book,"

You gripped the cutlery tighter as Frigga smiled proudly. "I do think that's a wonderful idea, brilliant thinking as always, Y/n,"

"I must admit, Thor informed me of this method from Midgard, but I know with our advanced system it wouldn't be as hectic as he described,"

Thor laughed in agreement. "Yes, yes, Lady Darcy let me fend for myself,"

"Brilliant work, my son," Odin praised, ignoring you completely. "Speaking of Lady Darcy, have you found a suitor? Now that, Lady Jane has left the frame?"

"No, not yet, but I do not want to rush such a thing," Thor smiles before looking to Loki. "What about you, brother? Has a maiden caught your eye? Perhaps you court one already?"

Loki coughed on his drink, using his napkin to wipe away the mead. "Uhm, well... yes," he sighs after seeing a glare from his mother.

"Wonderful news, my boy! Who is this maiden?" Odin for once looked proud. Loki knew not to lie, but let the moment linger on before he would see anger rise up.

"Y/n, I court Y/n,"

"What?!" Thor's shout matched Odin's but it seemed the god of thunder was surprised in glee while the king let anger boil.

~~~

Uh oh

Uh oh...

- Anna ❤️