Chapter 2 - In one night

"Did you hear? Prince Loki went to the servant kitchen!"

"I wish I was there," a girl sighs.

"I prefer Thor," Another confesses dreamily.

"Will you three stop fawning, it's annoying," you flip the next page of your book, munching down on your apple.

"Weirdo," they scoff.

"Yes, I'm so weird because I spend my days reading and not fawning over princes who don't even know I exist," the last bit off apple was gone, your arm aimed and tosses it right into the trash. "And crowd goes wild!" you imitate a crowd.

"You're weird because you like Midgardian things, and talk to yourself... a lot,"

"Midgard is an interesting realm full of possibilities and when I talk to myself it's because I find my company as the best entertainment," kicking your feet to the side you get up. "Enjoy your meal, ladies,"

~~~

"This is idiotic!" You groan quietly to yourself, blowing back a pesky strand of hair falling over your face. "Get out!" You scrub faster against the sandstone.

"You see? Weirdo," the girls snicker from across the hall as they huddled around with buckets.

"At least this weirdo is doing her job," huffing and scrubbing against the ground. "Stupid, stupid grime! Why won't you go away??"

"Insulting it won't get rid of it, Y/n,"

You knew that voice from anywhere. "Your highness," you jolt up to curtsy.

"You were right, King Lear is quite a good one," he hands back the book.

"You're finished with it?"

"Yes, I couldn't put it down... and I did enjoy the small doodles around the edges," his eyes glinted humorously.

"Thank you, I am quite the artist," you boast sarcastically. "Apologies," catching your tongue, he stops you.

"Don't apologies for wit, it is better to be a witty fool..."

"Than a foolish wit," you quip the quote. "Twelfth night, the better comedy,"

"I beg to differ, Midsummer is quite the winner,"

"And a bias I assume because of Puck?"

"Do you care not for the mischievous fae?" he let his lips curl into a challenging smile.

"I do not, I find Nick Bottom a better muse and the most interesting mortal," you eye the prince back smugly, not knowing what came over you and your etiquette training.

"Well, I say this, a simple end to this quarrel," he holds up a book which materialized in his hands. "We are to construct cases, persuasive letters to one another in hopes to sway opinions bettering our preferred plays,"

"And what if you refuse to admit failure?"

"I'm a man of my word, I shall be truthful in opinion," hand over his heart, he bows his head subtly.

"Alright then," you hold out your hand which he shakes. "How long will you need?"

"A day, two at most," his icy skin sent shocks through your nerves.

"Shame, I'll be able to do it in a night," boasting this carelessly.

"Then a night it is, at the break of dawn a guard will hand over my letter and you shall hand over yours,"

"Sounds like a plan, my prince," you curtsy once more as he kisses your hand and leaves.

"Oh, and I do believe scrubbing in a clockwise motion helps," he suggests over his shoulder as you kneel down and do just that to see the disappearing grime.

"Smart Prince," you chuckle as the group of maids gape at the interaction.

~~~

Of course they couldn't keep their yapping mouths shut. Like wildfire, the news of your interaction spread across the palace, and boy did Diana have quite the mouthful to lay down on you.

"Y/n, you interaction with the prince..."

"If you're hear to scold me, give me a second to mentally prepare," mid breath, you were stopped.

"You have the rest of the night off to compose that letter, do not disappoint me, Y/n, you are a brilliant girl," her gentle eyes met confused ones. "Show the prince your skill, my dear," her dress slipped around the corridor as you gaped.

~~~

Quill scratched against parchment as opinion after another flooded it. Words were engraved as oozing ink splattered across with each dip in the ink pot. Simplicity was best to approach this with and you had faith in your words to coax the god to your side.

He may be the God of mischief and lies with a silver tongue to persuade many, but you were not going to give up.

Diana brought you some tea a while back to help you through the night, even cleaning out the scraps of paper overflowing the whicker bin.

"Done," you sigh in relief and blow out the candle. "I'm an idiot for saying I could do it simply in one night," the letter was left to dry as you jump right into your bed, not caring to fuss about your clothes.

The night was cold and howling with wind and all you wished for was sleep to overcome you, drifting you off down a stream of dreams.

~~~

Shakespeare made me gay

And if you haven't once day dreamed about Viola as Cesario then you're lying to yourself

- Anna ❤️