Chapter Six: Almost There

Time went by quicker than he could have ever expected. One moment he was being admitted; the next he was released. This was probably due to the fact that he wasn't getting better, like he was released too soon. The main problem was that he was still going through withdrawal. The only progress he made was admitting and realizing he had a drug problem, and then successfully complete a two week detox from said drug problem. But that's when it was in a controlled environment. Being released into the big world was like throwing a shark into an ocean filled with fish, but Deku was the shark and the fish were drugs.

With that, he aimed to get better. But how does one even accidentally become a drug addict overnight? Let alone recover.

He could answer that: messing with a guy and his soup.

It was a long process never the less. Long nights with zero sleep, and staring at a white ceiling until the shadows formed into horrifying figures in his mind. Days where he was so miserable that he couldn't get himself out of bed. The first week was the worst. It was non-stop nausea. He couldn't keep anything down. The only motivation to keep him going was the thought of his classmates. He refused to continue to burden them.

Now that he had been cleared for discharge, he was waiting until Aizawa got there to take him back to the dorms. He kicked his legs up and down in a swinging motion, anxiously awaiting Aizawa's arrival. As he sat patiently, he reminisced about his stay there.

He'd made some friends in the treatment facility. Maybe not the best friends to have around, but at least they kept him from dying of boredom.

There was one guy in there named James, he used to live in Florida with his roommate, Steve. Steve would feed James's iguana meth and alcohol pretty much everyday. James was always either too drunk or high to care. His iguana was constantly trippin. Over the span of a year the iguana slowly turned black. It lived an entire year! Which still shocked them.

There was another young mom who had two daughters at home. Her husband was abusive. Her escape was through drugs, while his was violence. One night the police came and arrested the father. They threatened to take her kids because of her drug problem, so she willingly signed up in the program to detox and get better so she can go back home to her kids. She was discharged three days after Deku had been emitted. He hopes she's doing well right now.

That being said, he was ready to go home. Mentally at least. The withdrawal effects were still present. He had a headache and a stale taste in his mouth. Most of all he desperately needed a nap. One that wasn't filled with someone retching in the toilet next door or screaming at 2 in the morning. He missed his bed and soft pillow. The blankets his mother had made for him with All Mights face stitched onto them. He'd missed his friends. But he was scared, terrified even, to see them again. He could already picture the look of pity on their faces. His forehead wrinkled, and his nose creased, as he flinched at the thought of it. He hated pity. He was overwhelmed to say the least. The missing school work was also a big concern. But for now he tried to ignore all that. He tried to force the consistent nagging voice in his head to be quiet. It didn't work. The voice still pestered him with impossible situations and dangers that could happen.

One major improvement he'd noticed was that the voice wasn't telling him to do drugs anymore. Instead it went back to the impulsive thoughts and irrational possibilities. He slightly missed how the drugs blurred out those thoughts. A pang of nostalgia washed over him. He longed for the days where his brain would shut up. He bit his bottom lip in an attempt to stop the thought from snowballing. His legs kicked faster, and he started fidgeting with his hands.

Lucky for him, Aizawa walked in and stopped his thoughts from growing any further. Dekus mouth formed a small smile, not big, but also not forced. She was genuinely happy to see Aizawa.

Aizawa walked over and offered him a hand. Deku lifted his shaking hand, grabbed Aizawa outstretched one. He found comfort in the hand. Aizawa pulled Deku up out of his chair and hugged him.

"You're going to be okay. I promise." Aizawa sniffled, and pulled Dekus head further into his chest.

Deku tried to look up, but Aizawa held his head tight. Deku stop resisting and smiled.

He was going to be okay.

The end