Chapter Five: Recovery

It wasn’t that he didn’t hear Aizawa, it was more like his thoughts were too overwhelming to realize what he was doing.

Izuku’s mind was a walkie talkie. Filled with static and broken voices. It was as if someone was flipping violently through the channels of his brain. His normally rational mind was flooded with white noise and incoherent voices. Nothing made sense anymore. Where did he go wrong? 

He tried. He tried so hard to be strong. To be strong for his mom. For All Might. For everyone that used to look up to him. Now all he was was a useless little boy with a drug problem. More tears threatened to spill over his already swollen eyes. 

He was nearly out of the school when he starting to get really dizzy and felt weak. He had no choice but to stop. To his right were the bathrooms. He could hide in there. Just until he calmed down.

He threw open the stall door and collapsed until the dirty bathroom floor. Tears were now running down his sunken-in cheeks. His body ached. He knew what would make it stop, but he promised he would stop once All Might came back. He couldn’t handle disappointing anyone else. 

At this point the world around him was starting to dim and the tiredness he’d been trying to fight off for so long was finally catching up to him. Right before he was pulled away into a much needed nap, he heard the faint jingle of the stall door open.

After Midoriya’s explosion Aizawa ran after him. He had obviously dug himself into a really deep hole. He watched as the broken boy ran into the bathroom. After a few suspenseful seconds Aizawa followed him in. 

Aizawa’s POV

    I could hear muffled sobs coming from one of the stalls. They started to slow. At this point I didn’t know if that was a good or bad sign. When the crying sceised I slowly made my way to the stall door. I set my hand on the door and opened it with a low creak. Inside, Midoriya was asleep on the floor. For a second I wanted to laugh at his childish behavior. Then I took a closer look. Even in his sleep he looked distressed. He looked lost and broken. It was heartbreaking. What happened to my little problem child? What happened to the class cinnamon roll?

    I was brought back to reality when a soft whimper came from Midoriya. I knelt down and picked him up. Gently throwing him over my shoulder. What was I going to do with this boy? Getting in trouble left and right. 

    I decided the best and only option was to bring him to Recovery Girl.

Back to Normal POV

    The path down recovery is a long and dreadful one. 

    Recovery girl diagnosed Deku as a drug addict and sent him to recovery. He was 2 weeks in and was doing well. He was signed to be released in a few days. He was dreading facing his friends again. How could he with the way he treated them. Worst of all, how would he face All Might. He was supposed to be his successor. 

    Just then a knock was heard on his door. 

    “Come in” Midoriya invited them in. The door creaked open to reveal Aizawa. Deku’s breath hitched.

    “Don’t freak out kid. I’m just here to see how you’re doing. I had to pull some strings, so don’t waste my time.” Aizawa smirked. He talked to him like nothing happened. It was enough to settle his nerves.

    “N-nice to see you.” He did his best to smile. Aizawa frowned.

    “No need to smile if its not genuine. It’s okay to not be okay. You don’t need to hide it by flashing that signature smile of yours.” 

    “T-thank you sir. I’ll do my best.” He promised. It was funny how just a few months ago he was the one trying to get Eri to smile and now he was the one who needed help. A wave of helplessness washed over him. Before he could drown in his sorrow, Aizawa broke through the barrier of water that was ready to drown him.

    “When you get out of here you don’t need to come back right away. No one expects you to. Take all the time you need.” He was about to leave. “Oh yeah, I was gonna ask a while back. Why did you… you know. Start doing drugs.”

    Deku shrunk back in his bed. “Well… it started after I got sick. This guy gave me some painkillers and they seemed to do the trick. I think I started to rely on them a little more than I should have. Then when those ran out I felt sort of… empty. Like I had nothing to drown out the pain anymore. So it kind of built up. T-then I…” He stopped talking and buried his head in his knees.

    “That's okay. You don’t need to tell me anything else for the time being. Just get better. I miss seeing you in class.” Aizawa closed the door behind him.

As soon as the door closed, Deku broke down. No one was ever going to be able to look at him the same. It was simple really. When someone find out how truly broken you are, theres no going back. They'll never see you as yet happy problem free person you used to be. All their faces were the same. Pity. He hated being pitied. His whole life he strived to be strong and looked up to for his strength. Now he was looked down upon. Even worse. Pitied.

He was so close to breaking. It was frightening. 

Authors Note:
So it will probably be a while till I update this story again. I have a few other stories I am working on. I also have a really good idea for one of them. I'm kind of losing interest in this one. But I'll try to do another chapter or two. Also this was shorter than normal. Sorryyy.