thirty nine.

"I think-... I think I'm in love with you."

Taehyung noticed the change in his scent first.

It felt as if someone had turned up the dial on his intoxicating scent, nostrils taking in the overwhelming aroma.

He was smiling, two front teeth peeking out from behind his lips and eyes squinted cutely.

It reminded Taehyung of a baby bunny, pale cheeks visibly pink as he looked up at the beautiful skyline clearly trying to contain his happiness.

It made Taehyung's heart stammer in his chest, finding it hard to breathe when Jeongguk reached out to lace their fingers together.

He gazed up at his mate lovingly, eyes expectantly waiting for Jeongguk to return the words to him but he didn't.

His scent settled quickly, smile more nervous than happy as he pulled Taehyung towards a bench and took a seat.

"W-What's wrong?" Taehyung asked softly, brows furrowed in confusion and fear when Jeongguk turned to him and gripped his hand tighter.

"I have a confession to make," he said slowly, eyes serious as he turned his body to face Taehyung completely.

His scent was bitter, Taehyung didn't like it one bit.

His heart was beginning to hurt from not having those words said back to him and his eyes were filled with tears but he tried to suck it up.

He was embarrassed, the thought of Jeongguk not feeling the same for him coursing through his mind despite trying to reassure himself otherwise.

"I need you to listen to what I'm about to tell you... As much as I want to take you in my arms and kiss you right now, there is something you must know."

His words made Taehyung's lower belly feel funny, heart fluttering at the thought of Jeongguk wanting to kiss him.

But the alpha looked incredibly serious and somewhat fearful. Of what, Taehyung did not know.

It made him afraid of what the alpha would say.

What could he possibly say?

"Alpha you're scaring me..." Taehyung whispered, bottom lip quivering as he sniffled lightly.

He made no attempts to soothe Taehyung, deep down knowing that his confession would hurt him much more.

But he couldn't confess his feelings back to him until Taehyung knew the truth.

He couldn't erase his actions nor could he take it back, he could only hope that Taehyung would forgive him so that they could move on.

It kept him up at night, knowing that the omega didn't deserve how he was treated simply because he chose to believe other people's words about him.

"The evening before your arrival to the palace, I went to the village in disguise. I was confused and exceptionally angry about the idea of an arranged marriage."

Taehyung listened quietly, looking down at their laced fingers on his lap as Jeongguk continued on.

"So, I went to a bar, thinking I could drink my problems away but imagine my surprise when I hear your name leave an alpha's mouth,"

Jeongguk took a deep breath, hand in his tightening almost painfully as his scent grew in bitterness.

A low growl stumbled from his lips as he seemed to recall his memories, making Taehyung nervously wait for the story to continue.