Chapter fifty six - A new beginning

Start from the beginning

Thor was kneeling before Loki.

"Oh shit." Loki cursed into his wine, before turning to Thor with open arms.

Why didn't you tell me?!

I tried!

"My son, Thor, has returned! Greetings my boy." Loki proclaimed loudly to hide his shock.

Your heart was in your mouth. Thor wasn't stupid; he was about to expose the two of you. Maybe it was time. But you didn't want it to be. It had been the best year of your life.

Thor and Loki were talking about the large skull which Thor had been carrying with him. You deserved to be exposed; you shouldn't have lied to him about where you were, about Odin. Whenever the Avengers had asked you where you and Loki were staying you had avoided answering them completely, simply alluding to the fact that you weren't staying in one place. Which was, of course, a lie. And as for your parents and friends on Asgard, you had simply told them that you'd decided you wanted to move to Asgard after Loki's death. Pretending to grieve had been awful; you'd felt so guilty. Yes, you definitely deserved to be exposed... you would just give anything not to be.

"...the freedom to be massacred." Thor was saying. It appeared that his chat with Loki was not going all too well.

"Yes, besides, I have been rather busy myself." Loki replied.

"Watching theatre."

"Board meetings, and security council meetings..." Loki sounded truly desperate now. You wished you could help him.

"Are you really going to make me do it?" Thor asked.

"Do what?"

Thor held Loki's gaze as he began to spin Mjolnir round and round his hand and then hurled it off into the distance. Then he grabbed Loki by the back of the neck. You had to stop yourself from stepping forward and saying Thor's name. The royal attendants behind you were looking on in shock and Odin's bodyguards stepped forward but did nothing, unsure.

"You know that nothing will stop Mjolnir as it returns to my hand. Not even your face." Thor muttered in Loki's ear.

"You've gone quite mad. You'll be executed for this!" Loki choked, his eyes on Mjolnir which was fast returning through the air. You took tentative a step forward, knowing now that your time was up. Loki's eyes darted to yours, and resignation dawned across his face as he saw the look in your eyes.

"Then I'll see you on the other side, brother." Thor muttered.

Mjolnir was too close...

Loki!

"Alright, I yield!" Loki shouted, and he dropped the illusion. You closed your eyes briefly, trying not to hear the gasps which echoed around you. Thor shoved Loki away and caught Mjolnir, not even looking smug. Loki stumbled slightly before turning back to Thor, his hands in the air. You moved to drop your illusion and stand with him, but he shot you a sharp look before you could move.

No.

Suddenly Skurge stumbled into the circle which the crowd had created, out of breath after what had obviously been a long run.

"Behold! Thor... Odinson..." he panted.

Loki closed his eyes and held up a hand to silence him, his nostrils flaring. Then he turned around to look at Skurge.

"You had one job! Just the one."

"Where's Odin?" Thor asked, his voice low with anger.

"You just couldn't stay away, could you? Everything was fine without you, Asgard was prospering!" Loki said, turning back to Thor angrily, gesturing at the crowd around him, who you could sense were gradually becoming angry.