[ eleven ]

"Oh God," Percy murmurs

"Oh God," Percy murmurs. "Four years?"

I feel sick to my stomach. I can't believe I just told him that.

That's something I've never admitted to anyone. Not even myself.

But I think it was good. Ever since I met Percy, I've started to realize what I had with Luke wasn't love. He bragged about me to his friends, and when I went to parties, he would parade me around. He never cared about how I was really feeling, always expecting me to go along with whatever he wanted.

A pretty face. That's all I am to Luke. I was never smart, witty, or clever. Never someone fun to be around. Just a pretty face, a trophy to be won, a puppet to be manipulated. And I'm sick of it.

I'm ready to put together my broken pieces. I'm ready to cut the strings.

So I tell Percy everything.

"When Luke and I first started dating, it was paradise. He was so handsome, he was on the football team, he was smart. He was the school's Golden Boy. Luke and Annabeth; Annabeth and Luke." Percy scowls, but I continue. Now that I've started talking, I won't be able to stop until I've said everything I've been wanting to get out.

"That was all anyone could talk about. They were excited, high off the gossip. I felt the same way. My life had to be too good to be true. It just had to be.

"And it was. The two of us were at a party, and I was talking to this guy I knew. We had done a project a couple years before, and still texted occasionally. Luke blew up. He dragged me out, claiming that I was cheating on him. He didn't hit me that night, but his words stung just as much. Why would he assume those things about me? I never did anything wrong. I put it down to the fact that he was drunk, and that he was probably worried. We had just started dating, so of course he would be nervous when I hung out around other boys. That's normal, right?"

I bite my lip as Percy shakes his head.

"Luke started getting really paranoid, to the point where I couldn't go out without him. And still, he tracked my every move. One day I confronted him. He hit me, going off about how he knew I couldn't be trusted. I was shocked. What happened to my sweet Luke?"

"He never existed," Percy whispers, and I nod, fighting back more tears.

"He never existed," I echo, before continuing, "Luke apologized. A hundred times, at least. Of course I could be trusted. He was just worried. He didn't want to lose me, because he loved me."

I pause, taking a deep breath. "That was new. We had only been dating about six months, and I wasn't expecting that."

Percy's eyes harden, but he doesn't say anything.

"But he made me feel special. He could be a little protective, but I was a different girl around him. A better girl. So of course I said it back. We went back to his place, and I wasn't planning on staying the night - I really didn't want to stay the night - but I did. Because Luke wanted it, and I wanted to make him happy. Besides, I wanted to show him that I wasn't mad."

I sob as Percy swears. "I was so naive."

"It's-" Percy clearly doesn't know what to say next, so he opts for a hug instead. I gratefully accept it, talking feverishly into his side.

"And then it only got worse. Over the next few years, he started to become so crazy. He let me into his life in a way that he let no one else, but there were repercussions. I met his mom, so I got to get ready at his house before going out. He would choose what I wore. I met his friends, so I got to spend more time with them, trying to ignore their stares as they checked me out. The list goes on and on.

"At this point, I barely feel like my own person anymore. He's constantly snooping through my phone. Or he's asking me where I'm going, who I'm going with, and what I'm doing. If I'm too vague, he'll ask to come. If he doesn't come, he's texting me the whole time."

Percy tightens his arms around me. "I'm so sorry. I wish there's something I can do."

"It's not your fault Perce. Don't be a Seaweed Brain." Despite the tears streaking down both of our faces, I try to keep a light tone. Percy grins for a second, as he pulls back, but it quickly turns into a frown.

"Shit." Percy swears, smacking the table. I jump.

I know Percy's a different person, but in that moment, he looked so much like. . .

I take a breath, trying to control my racing heart.

"I'm sorry." Percy says, getting out of his chair and beginning to pace. "I'm so sorry. What was I thinking? I'm such an idiot. I-"

"Percy chill. You didn't do anything."

"But I did! I know the signs of abuse, hell, I've been abused! I knew that something wasn't right, but I ignored it, figuring that you probably didn't want me in your love life." Percy has no idea how wrong he is.

I want him to be my love life. Now's probably not the time for those type of declarations, though.

"Percy." He looks back at me, his eyes wild and full of regret.

"It's not your fault. It's not," I choke on the next words, not quite believing them yet, but I say them anyways, "It's not my fault either."

I soften my tone, "Why don't you take a seat."

"Yeah okay. Yeah." Percy looks at me, but not really. It's like he's looking through me. I wish I knew what he was thinking so I could help him, but if he won't open up, then I can't. I'm not going to force him to talk.

Just like me, Percy will talk when he's ready.

"I think you should break up with him, Annabeth. Don't do it alone, and do it when you're ready, but I think that's the best option."

"Okay," I nod, but I'm not sure I have the strength to actually follow through.

"Okay." Percy smiles, a genuine smile that I haven't seen all night. "You're really brave. A lot braver than me. I'm glad that you decided to open up."

"Me too," I say, and I mean it. I haven't felt this light in a long time. And I have a feeling it has something to do with the floppy haired, green eyed boy smiling in front of me.

 And I have a feeling it has something to do with the floppy haired, green eyed boy smiling in front of me